WineXpert Lower End Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake77

Reaction score
I had told myself several kits ago that I was not going to buy anymore of the lower end kits, but somehow ended up buying a Vintners Reserve Mezza Luna White kit. These kits seem to be really thin and watery. So, I have had this kit sitting here and Im wondering what to do with it to make it better. Anybody ever try adding raisins, bannanas, grape juice to get more body or flavor? I am willing to sacrifice this kit if anyone has any good ideas.

I think the reason they are so thin is to make them fast kits and more cost effective.
Right now I have a Vintner's Reserve Bergamais and an Orchard Breezin' Blueberry Shiraz going.
They smell great so far and will be ready to drink sooner. These are my first couple of kits so they are really to learn on.
I think you're on the right track with thinking to add fruit such as bananas but that will void the warranty.
I plan on making these lower end keeps for a while just to learn on and then move on to pricier higher end kits when I feel confident I won't mess them up.
Just something to think about. I'm sure some of the guys here will have some more specific instructions for you. Good luck!

Should I sulfite the raisins before adding them? And how many do you think I should use?

Or buy a Vinifera Noble 10 liter kit. They have a lot more body than any of the other 10-liter kits. My customers that have made them call them the "best value in my store".

NO, especially the golden raisins as they are already sulfited to prevent discoloration and keep them fresh.

Im a big advocate of using bananas to boost the body of a wine

I agree regarding the Vinefera Noble kits. They produce a very good wine in a relatively short time and they improve with age.

I have been very pleasantly surprised with the VN kits. The Sangiovese I started in May is already a really good wine - bottled it in September - and no one has noticed any "thinness" to it even after I mention that is the usual complaint. Another six months it should be great, if there's any left!

I just bottled a VN Castel del Papa this morning but it was too early in the morning to taste - I don't any wine will taste good at 6:30 am. Still, it looked pretty good and had bulk-aged longer than planned (I'm all about the benign neglect). Can't speak to theother lower end kits, but I agree that the VN kits area a great value.
Bart

Wow! Bottling at 6AM. You are an early riser like Waldo. You are right though, it is too early in the morning to taste... in fact, it is almost too early to breathe.
smiley1.gif

I have made 3 or 4 VN kits, and even though I don't drink them early, they are wonderful wines at 1 year. And DO get better after that.
smiley4.gif

Back