Lost Dog Vineyards

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
Its not the size of the dog in the fight.................
smiley1.gif

Here are the pictures I promised of my humble vineyard

4 twenty foot trellises

CIMG0088.jpg
CIMG0087.jpg

Planted left to right Carlos, Dixie Red, Ison, & Ison are hibernating until springtime

CIMG0090.jpg
CIMG0089.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. I hope they get to come out of hibernation soon.
smiley2.gif
Looking forward to progress pictures through the year.

That green grass...makes me GREEN</font> with envy....

Will be fun to watch your progress as things grow and mature.

Will there be other wine plants???

smiley3.gif
Is that flowers on a tree over the fence???????

Northern Winos said:
That green grass...makes me GREEN</font> with envy....

Will be fun to watch your progress as things grow and mature.

Will there be other wine plants???

smiley3.gif
Is that flowers on a tree over the fence???????

Thanks to you and Cracked Cork, I have ordered some elderberries to plant along the other side of the fence. I ordered 4 different varieties; Nova, John, York, &amp; Adams. I am awaiting their delivery after 2-23-09

I also have a Key Lime tree to plant along with a Blood Orange. Looking forward to lots of fruit in the future.

Yes that is flowers, but I couldn't tell you what they are at the moment. Its still above freezing out here.

appleman said:
Green grass
Life in the South! And yes ours is also green and in need of mowing, but the boys said it was too cold.
VPC

You get that boy out there and cut that grass. I cut our front yard two weeks ago just to mulch out the leaves. Took about 30 minutes I had fun.........

Looks good. I will be watching this one close. Think I can find that much room in the yard. What is this grass everyone speaks of? All I see is white stuff falling from the sky.

Northern, those flowers are on a Saucer (Japanese) Magnolia in my neighbor's front yard. I went look at it and its a beautiful tree about 18-20 feet tall.

BDKS, these are muscadine variety grapes not your ordinary wine making grapes. But each vine boasts about 60-80 pounds of production each season when in full swing. I would guess thats going to be in another two or three years after the planting. At 4 pounds per gallon of wine I figure each vine should get me minimally 15 gallons of wine per vine per season. That will be about 60 gallons a year from those 4 vines alone.

gaudet said:
Northern, those flowers are on a Saucer (Japanese) Magnolia in my neighbor's front yard. I went look at it and its a beautiful tree about 18-20 feet tall.

BDKS, these are muscadine variety grapes not your ordinary wine making grapes. But each vine boasts about 60-80 pounds of production each season when in full swing. I would guess thats going to be in another two or three years after the planting. At 4 pounds per gallon of wine I figure each vine should get me minimally 15 gallons of wine per vine per season. That will be about 60 gallons a year from those 4 vines alone.

I am in zone 5, How will they do with cold winter and high humidity in the summer?

There are signs of life on my vines. I tied them up to the trellis about a week ago and one of the vines already is showing signs of greening up. Sweet Sweet grapes. I also planted a Moro Blood Orange Tree in the back yard on the fence line and transplanted the key lime tree to a bigger pot. Made SWMBO happy by tilling up a bed for her roses and making her two 4x8 beds out of 1"x8"x8' lumber. She wants to try a technique called square foot gardening. I'll take some pictures as we get it ready for planting.

appleman said:
Did you get the elderberries yet? Must be nice to use a shovel in the soil instead of snow!

Got a call from Double A last week saying they were going to delay shipment. Weather was too cold for them to risk shipping at this time. They would call me when they shipped them. Looking forward to getting them and planting them along the outside of my fence. I was also thinking about planting a couple peach trees in the front yard where it gets full sun almost all day.

Latest posts

Back