Looks like a big pear harvest coming up...how do you make pear wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirknotes

Reaction score
I have a tree with about 100 pears that will be ripe shortly....do I ferment them with the skins on and the seeds in or just ferment the juice after pressing them or what would you do?

I have a tree with about 100 pears that will be ripe shortly....do I ferment them with the skins on and the seeds in or just ferment the juice after pressing them or what would you do?
Let them get good and ripe. Press the juice out like you do with apples. Just use the juice. Makes a great wine. Arne.

sounds like the process would be:
remove stems and seeds
crush the buggers and drain off the juices
bag the skins and lees to allow them to ferment in the bags in the juices.
put in pectin and put in a yeast ....not sure how much pectin or what type of yeast...any ideas?
take SG readings before during and after....

what am I missing?

I had access to pears for about four years. The best batch I made was following the Jack Keller recipe. Interestingly, it involved adding water to the juice. Normallyin winemaking that is a detriment, but I found it was a positive when it came to pear wine

I had access to pears for about four years. The best batch I made was following the Jack Keller recipe. Interestingly, it involved adding water to the juice. Normallyin winemaking that is a detriment, but I found it was a positive when it came to pear wine
great - where do i find the recipe?

Back