• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for the following Malolactic Bacteria

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
I am looking for MBR Lavlin 31, MBR LALVIN VP41™ & MBR PN4™, this last Malolactic bacteria, "The PN4 bacteria is well suited for spicy and structured Pinot noir wines, and may also be used to carry out malolactic fermentation in Chardonnay."
I'm looking for home brew quantities. If any of the forum sponsor carry those, I'd be ready to purchase asap.
Thanks!

Tom

Lalvin-MBR is the same strain I have been told as Bacchus which is the home winemaking sachet form of the 31.

I see you added mlb to Pinot Grigio (on the other post). You can forget ever sweetening that one if it needs it. Generally fruity whites do not receive a malolactic treatment. After mlf, you cannot safely add potassium sorbate to safely sweeten it as if there is any live mlb in it, that can metabolize the sorbate and form sorbitol (or is it geraniols?) which imparts geranium smells and flavors in the wine. Either way it isn't something you want.

Grapeman,
I appreciate the input. After tasting the wine again, we decided that we didnt need to sweeten it, but mellowing it out a bit would be more what we were looking for.
It is worth a try to see if the finished product is what we are looking for.
I read an article from Winemakemag.com that stated "some dry white wines, such as Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Gris." I thought I was ok after reading this.
I agree, geranium wine is not what I'm after...LOL!

Last edited:
Back