MLF Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
*Is MLF a "must do"?

Although I realize that it depends on the wine and what you really want, but I've almost got the impression that Home Brewers do a Malolactic Fermentation on most all reds?

*Would any of you recommend MLF for the following wine, and which bacteria do you recommend?
There are so many different MLB out there that it almost gets overwhelming trying to select the right one, maybe those of you with a little experience under your belt could put me on the right path.

Pinot Noir - I've read that it is beneficial to Pinot Noir, and I've read that the Lalvin MLB PN4 would be the bacteria to use, but good lick finding it.

Chianti - I've never heard of it, I don't think that I'd want to change the traditional characteristics.

Lambrusco - i'm not aiming to make the american version of Lambrusco, the Riuniti or Giacobazzi type of Gassed up, overly sweetened wine cooler type, a more traditional wine. As of right now when I taste it, it's not overly bold, with almost an aroma of strawberry, I'm ok with it right now.

Chardonnay - I know that traditionally, this is one of the whites that can go through MLF to bring out the buttery quality if the wine, at racking, it has fruit characteristics, is MLF a must?

Amarone - I don't know if I would consider it, even though it is still fermenting, it is very interesting, in a very good way! I understand what Rocky was trying to explain to me.

Pinot Grigio - I know that I was recommended against it, after reading a few articles about Pinot Grigio and MLF, I went ahead.

After the difficulty of trying to find all the various strains of MLB that would bring out the various characteristics of each individual wine, and the obvious costs, I am considering Viniflora Dry Malolactic Wine Bacteria, but I am very open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Is mlf a must? Absolutely NOT!!!!
Although I realize that it depends on the wine and what you really want, but I've almost got the impression that Home Brewers do a Malolactic Fermentation on most all reds?
The majority of home winemakers DO NOT perform mlf because they are not educated in how to do it, nor are they equipped to do it or even want the added costs you associate with it.

I won't comment on which strains to use for the vinifera varieties you list because I don't have mcuh experience with them.

Pinot Noir - I've read that it is beneficial to Pinot Noir, and I've read that the Lalvin MLB PN4 would be the bacteria to use, but good lick finding it.
That is one of the problems with doing what you read- there is a lot of information out there and not all of it is current or even appropriate for your case. Cursory "research" needs to be used cautiously.

Chardonnay - I know that traditionally, this is one of the whites that can go through MLF to bring out the buttery quality if the wine, at racking, it has fruit characteristics, is MLF a must?
This is the original characteristic of a Chardonnay before the buttery oaky styles became popular and is the reason I don't perform mlf on my Chardonel (a Chardonnay hybrid).

In short, I generally perform "naked" ferments first with varieties I have no experience with. That gives me an idea of what the grape itself has to offer. If I find it lacking something I believe a malolactic ferment could contribute, then I consider adding it to the process for that wine.

Of the grapes you mentioned, the one we always do an MLF on is Pinot Noir. I don't like the taste of that grape done in fruit style. Pinot Noir takes a lot of aging. We made it in 2009, and this summer the flavor finally came forward with nice chocolate notes on it. So if you do Pinot Noir, be patient and give it lots of time.

I like a buttery Chardonnay, but it's very excellent when done in fruit style. I like it both ways.

Chianti is excellent without MLF. But,again, it takes a couple years for the flavors to firm up. It's a little harsh when young. Our 2010 Chianti is really good now, with nice, smooth flavors and it also has some chocolate on it.

As was said earlier MLF is a choice, I am in the process of completing my first MLF right now (just checked yesterday and I am under 30 mg/L :D). In total I had made 5 batches of kit/juice wine to just get the basics down before I even considered experimenting with a MLF. There was a good deal of risk and reward to the process, you need to take temperature, potential alcohol, PH, levels of sulfite and finally available cash to take into consideration before pitching the bacteria.

Pinot Noir is traditionally put through the process because due to the cold weather that it requires often times the acid is mouth puckering strong if not adjusted. Chardonnay is also usually put through MLF to bring out the buttery/creamy nature of the varietal, but it is not a necessity. I have had some great naked Chardonnays, as well as some great Chardonnays that went through MLF.

As far as the strain of MLF goes, I think you are over thinking the process. I went with Lalvin Bacchus and it worked great because all I had to do was mix it with a little wine and pitch it right in. There was no need to make a culture or do any complicated steps to get the MLF going. There are plenty of choices out there for MLB, but do not feel like the only way to do a MLF with Pinot is with Lalvin MLB PN4, as long as it eats all of the Malic acid, then its job is done. If everyone made wine the same way, it would be a very boring hobby!!!

So to sum everything up, do not feel that you have to do anything, make your own decision and educate yourself before trying out a MLF.

Concerning a Chardonnay, doing an MLF depends on the acid level of the particular grapes you fermented. If the level is already low to moderate (for a Chardonnay), MLF sometimes can make it become flabby.

Thanks for all of the input.

That is one of the problems with doing what you read- there is a lot of information out there and not all of it is current or even appropriate for your case. Cursory "research" needs to be used cautiously

Grapeman, thanks for the advice, I really don't look at it as a problem, if I didn't research, I would never ask questions about different aspects of making wine, this is the fun part for me, trying to understand the how, what why and when of wine making, but i do agree 100% lots of info tends to be outdated or appropriate. I run into this a great deal with my business, I spend a lot of time getting those new to that hobby on the right path.

s0615353:
I agree, I am trying to educate myself, I've researched a lot, but I tend to like to hear what those that have hands on experience have done, or would do.
If everyone made wine the same way, it would be a very boring hobby!!!
I couldn't agree more!

Turock:
So if you do Pinot Noir, be patient and give it lots of time.
Absolutely! just tasting the wine as I took SG readings while fermenting, and even after only a week in the carboys, there were distinctive changes, really interesting to say the least, I will do my best to not sample too much...lol
I'm really not trying to over complicate things, I'm trying to keep this fun, and it really has been fun!
As far as looking for the different Strains of MLB, I looked at it like this, We choose various strains of Yeast that bring out the characteristics that we would like, or are best suited for the particular wine, why not continue that
with MLB that are supposed to do the same?
I've realized that the various strains of MLB are not as openly available, (especially in smaller quantities) as are the various strains of yeast used for fermenting, and most are a bit costly.

Thanks for all of the info!
Tom

Latest posts

Back