Looking for a good Hard Cider recipie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersteeb

Junior
Reaction score
I am looking for a good hard cider recipie..... anyone out there have any good suggestions? Edited by: Jersteeb

I added oak to my secondary for two months. Came out real nice. Also added 1/2 lbs per gal chopped raisens to fermenter.

I also like to oak my ciders, but I typically add the oak up-front in the primary where I keep it 3-4 months, then rack off the oak and lees into secondary for 8-9 months, then rack into a tertiary for a year. I like my ciders to be at least 2 years old before kegging.

I use fresh pressed non-pasteurized, preservative free cider that I buy from a local mill (typical SG's of 1.050-1.055) , and find that White Labs WLP775 English Cider Yeast, or Wyeast 4766 Cider Yeast gives me the flavor and aroma profiles I prefer. I add no other ingredients.

- GL63

GrantLee....That sounds like a really good cider...You have a lot of patience....they say good things are worth waiting for.

Northern Winos said:
GrantLee....That sounds like a really good cider...You have a lot of patience....they say good things are worth waiting for.

Most people drink their ciders way too early ..... the key is to make it every year because then, only the first two years are going to be difficult! If you wait two years before drinking it, but make it each and every year, you will always have properly aged and conditioned cider on tap, year after year.

At least that's the logic I use!
smiley2.gif

- GL63

PS Good thing are indeed worth waiting for !!!

Next year im going to make some as we have a really good place to buy fresh cider, they even sell barrels and carboys there for doing this and 2 different kinds of cider, 1 like Grant speaks of that is totally untouched and another that they use UV lights to kill off bacteria. Will probaly beer bottle it or keg condition it or maybe both.

Latest posts

Back