Long Term Stability of Whites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am noticing that some of my whites are darkening in the bottle. The worst is the oldest that is 18 months old. Instead of a pale straw color they are looking like a more pronounced light brown. They still taste great, its just the color that is a little disconcerting. :d

All of these were bulk aged for 3 months and all were hit with a top up dose of Sulfite before bottling.

And maybe or maybe not be a coincidence but all of the problem ones are Mosti products.

It sure sounds like oxidation to me. I have some whites that are that old and they are still nice light yellow. It sounds like you did everything correct. Is it possible that the Kmeta you added was old and not as effective? Let some others chime in here.
Bill

One interesting thing is I have a CC Showcase Viognier kit made right in the middle between the 3 Mosti whites and guess what its still nice and pale yellow.

I strive to do things the same way every time so I am still at odds as to why the Showcase kit seems fine and the other's don't. Its just strange ATM.

I think they were all within the 12 month limit. All were from VFW and I have never had an old kit (>12mo from DOM) come to me from George.

Storage in dark or clear bottles? Stored away from light source?

Just throwing out some ideas for discussion.

Debbie

When you get a chance, pop one open and do a S02 test on it. I just cant see what the difference could be between 2 brands as far as this goes. Like I stated in the other forum the only Mosti kit I have in a white isnt this old yet so Ive got nothing to comapre it to except other brands and they are still brilliant and some almost 2 1/2 years old using these exact corks. I actually ahve a W.E. mist kit white thats 4 1/2 years old thats still very clear and brilliant and withn that one I didnt even add any more sulfite then what came in the kit and that was when I didnt even have a cellar, it went from a old fridge to boxes piled on the floor in the basement to the cellar after about 1 year in those conditions.

Is it possible that these are blends and one of the grapes is kicking in and changing the colour at that age?

Had a bottle last night with some Curried Chicken and rice we made. Still taste yummy. This wine was darker to start off than most commercial PG's and it has slowly gotten darker over 18mo's so now it's really kinda noticeable at least to me but perhaps not others who have not watched it closely as I have....

I only have about 10 bottles left now but I have probably 28 bottles of the MM Renaissance Aussie Sauv Blanc that are starting to look the same as this one, not quite as bad for sure but then they are only ~12mo old. Will be starting to hit these hard over the Summer I am sure.

I will check SO2 levels in one of the PG's next time I set up to do SO2 test and see where its at today.

Any Vitamin C in there? That sometimes makes whites go darker! I've used it a few times but I've never known any of my whites to go that dark.

Have you asked Mosti about it?

Regards to all, Winemanden. :h

Nope, no Vitamin C, it did have the Sorbate added which trashed the flavor for 9 months......

I am kinda voting with my feet so to speak. No longer purchasing any more MM Whites. Just not all that impressed. All CC Showcase these days! :br

Vitamin C is an anti Oxidant and I use that in all my white and light fruit wines, Its designed to keep the color. Ascorbic acid.

I agree but take the added insurance on my money, after all its only Vitamin C!

Never heard of that or seen it before, have you?

No, I can't say I have - I did make a blend of something ( chard perhaps) and Semillon a number of years ago and the taste profile changed after a while but can't remember if there was a colour change.

Mike,

I have you contacted Mosti to see if any other consumers have reported the problem? Maybe this is something they've seen before?

Latest posts

Back