Name that Haze!

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Bliorg

Reaction score
Hi all -

So I've got this '18 sauv blanc from Washington State juice. Nothing remarkable about the winemaking, but was a little hazy before bottling. I ran it through a #2 filter on the Mini Jet and it looked brilliant. Bottled, laid up. A few months after bottling it got hazy and eventually threw a sediment. The wine is really tasty and I was really unhappy with the aesthetics. In December I ran the pectin test, which seemed positive. I dumped the bottles back into a carboy, sulfited lightly, dosed the hell out of it with pectic enzyme, threw a ThermWrap on it to keep it around 75F, and waited. Eventually cleared quite a bit. I racked today, what seemed like a clean racking, and still have thus:

49474061991_24d25187b4_c.jpg

I'm not sure what to do with this. I hit it with SuperKleer before originally bottling, not sure if that would fix what ails now. I didn't bentonite it, but this has never been exposed to heat, so I wouldn't think the proteins would have ever had a chance to denature. I may have carried a little sediment over in the racking, but not like this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Does seem a little unusual for an 18. It's always been my understanding cooler temperatures help the particulates far out faster and become more dense. If it were mine I might try letting it cool to 40-50 for a few days them filter again with a .5 micron if you have one.

Bliorg

Reaction score
Thanks Fred - that's essentially what I did the first time 'round, want something a little more proactive this time. I'd be super frustrated if it threw another sediment in bottle.

Still hazy this afternoon, so bit the bullet and fined with bentonite:

49479771807_859483e986_w.jpg

That's at 0.33 g/L. We shall see...

Bliorg

Reaction score
That seems to have been golden.
EF1291FF-D27A-4334-B47C-418F10CA0055.jpeg
There’s still some really fine particulate suspended, but it’s also only been 24 hours. Amazing the difference that made. I can see though what a PITA racking is going to be, looks like ash.

I’m good with this. While I’d like to take a more reactive approach to these things (don’t try to fix a problem until there actually IS a problem) I can see the utility in adding some bentonite to the ferment...

Ct Winemaker

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
If you have the ability to cold stabilize (chill close to 32 deg f for 2-3 weeks), the acid fallout will compact the bentonite for less loss at racking. Will also help to clear.

crabjoe

Reaction score
I call it "Not my haze"

Sorry it's happening to you .. Wish I knew what it was.

Latest posts