Name that Haze!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bliorg

Preemptive has-been
Reaction score
Hi all -

So I've got this '18 sauv blanc from Washington State juice. Nothing remarkable about the winemaking, but was a little hazy before bottling. I ran it through a #2 filter on the Mini Jet and it looked brilliant. Bottled, laid up. A few months after bottling it got hazy and eventually threw a sediment. The wine is really tasty and I was really unhappy with the aesthetics. In December I ran the pectin test, which seemed positive. I dumped the bottles back into a carboy, sulfited lightly, dosed the hell out of it with pectic enzyme, threw a ThermWrap on it to keep it around 75F, and waited. Eventually cleared quite a bit. I racked today, what seemed like a clean racking, and still have thus:

49474061991_24d25187b4_c.jpg

I'm not sure what to do with this. I hit it with SuperKleer before originally bottling, not sure if that would fix what ails now. I didn't bentonite it, but this has never been exposed to heat, so I wouldn't think the proteins would have ever had a chance to denature. I may have carried a little sediment over in the racking, but not like this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

Thanks Fred - that's essentially what I did the first time 'round, want something a little more proactive this time. I'd be super frustrated if it threw another sediment in bottle.

Still hazy this afternoon, so bit the bullet and fined with bentonite:

49479771807_859483e986_w.jpg

That's at 0.33 g/L. We shall see...

That seems to have been golden.
EF1291FF-D27A-4334-B47C-418F10CA0055.jpeg
There’s still some really fine particulate suspended, but it’s also only been 24 hours. Amazing the difference that made. I can see though what a PITA racking is going to be, looks like ash.

I’m good with this. While I’d like to take a more reactive approach to these things (don’t try to fix a problem until there actually IS a problem) I can see the utility in adding some bentonite to the ferment...

I call it "Not my haze"

Sorry it's happening to you .. Wish I knew what it was.

Latest posts

Back