Little Black insects.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masbustelo

Reaction score
On one of my Petite Pearl vines (in Illinois) I observed this morning, thousands of little black insects about the size of fleas. They are on the tips. What might they be? and what might the treatment be? I can't take pictures because they are so small.

sounds like it could be aphids. They suck the juices out on the tips of small young vegetation. Look them up online and see if they look like what you have. If so they will probably make a control recommendation.

Without a picture all I can really do is guess based off of location and time of the year, but I would guess that they would be an aphid.
You can try to hose them off and follow up with an application of insecticidal soap, or just soapy water. Or you can use an insecticide like sevin.

In the spring I noticed some aphids on my lupine plants. I was in a live and let live mood and let it go. Later as spring progressed the aphids multiplied in the thousands and destroyed all the flowering stalks of the lupines. A lesson learned. I will hit them with a soap and water solution early from now on.
Larry

Latest posts

Back