Backyard Vineyard - Year two

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A fence company in the UP. They specialize in cedar posts. I called about treated posts so they sent cedar posts to a local company to have them treated. Nice and straight and not too heavy.

Looking good, have you noticed any herbicide drift from the farm field? Even tho there no farm fields near me I had some damage in 2021&2022.
Maybe. There are three vines - all close to the field that look like this
IMG_2595.jpeg
I’m not sure if that’s herbicide damage or not. Also, most of the vines closest to the field are probably 50% smaller than the rest. I was thinking it could also be because those vines are planted on what was the edge of the cropped field. So they have had decades of farming history where the rest of the vines are on ground that was fallow for the last 24 years.

This is what it looks like
View attachment 103604
nope, nothing like that. I think what I have is a nutrient deficiency. Odd that it would be worse on vines that are planted where the field edge was, but the vines that are in the fallow ground area look fine. I have been meaning to get a soil test. I think I’ll get two and divide it by past land use (cropped vs fallow)

Soil tests are good, leaf or petiole tests are even better because you can see what the plants actually utilize. I use AgSource labs in Bonduel, they do a quick turnaround. I tried the soil and forage lab at UW Madison but it took two weeks to get a report. Both reports were almost identical.

Soil tests are good, leaf or petiole tests are even better because you can see what the plants actually utilize. I use AgSource labs in Bonduel, they do a quick turnaround. I tried the soil and forage lab at UW Madison but it took two weeks to get a report. Both reports were almost identical.
Is there a recommended time of year for the petiole test?

Latest posts

Back