WineXpert Limited Edition Australian Grenache Rose

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was bottled and we tried a bottle a couple weeks ago and people really liked it. Being a Rose, next time I'd just press my grapes for a 2nd run instead of buying a kit...

All in all, I think it is a good kit.

Last edited:
I've enjoyed the couple bottles I've had so far. Trying to keep most of it until next year, but I'm sure I'll break out a bottle or two (or three) between now and the end of the year - especially around Thanksgiving.

I added a little sugar and about half the fpac to the primary and I'm glad I did. It is dry, with just a subtle hint of sweetness. It probably won't hit its stride until next summer (at a little over a year of age) but it is good now. There is still a hint of sorbate. Mine was started March 29th.

I made mine with about 1/4 of the f pack to keep it dry; I tasted it at bottling and thought it was tasty. Should be a good one. It's the only pink wine I have made, but there is something appealing about a pretty pink bottle of wine. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

I pitched mine in mid-April so its only 5 months old but I've had a couple bottles. Its pretty good for early consumption but I'll hold off until next Summer before I drink the bulk of it. I did add the full f-pack. I'm pretty averse to sweetness in wine, so it qualified to my palate as a definite off-dry (as opposed to the advertised "barely off-dry"), but its got plenty of juicy acidity so should be as good with food as on its own. I think I'd prefer it with only 1/2 the f-pack, but its been popular among those I've shared with. Recommended. Go for it.

Thanks for the feedback! I ordered the last kit from a online place I frequent for $100.95 delivered. Next best price I could find that had it in stock was $105.95 delivered. Not sure if the forum lets me name retailers but if anyone else wants one you can probably find it with google.

Any tips on whether I should filter a rose with 1micron or 5micron in my whole home filter?

steve

Still a ways off, but I'm wondering whether to filter a Rose with 5micron or 1micron? It's a little dark for a rose right now and I have a batch of white going too. So I'm thinking of filtering the white and then the rose in the same session with a 1 micron filter. Thoughts?

steve

Unless my memory is failing me, I used a 5 micron. Keep in mind, it'll look a lot darker in the carboy than it will in the bottle or glass.

Tried a couple of bottles so far (it's only been ~3 months) and we find it pretty fruity (citrus). Should be great in the summer, but right now it's a little too light for our winter tastebuds. I made it stock with the entire f-pack and filtered with 5-micron.

This is out again and I pre-ordered one today. (Last day looks like the 2-27-15)

So was the general consensus to add the whole f pack? And its a decent early drinker?

I've only made kit reds and fruit wines, never tried rose or whites.

@thecrewking: It is pretty good early, though I've only gone through about 8 bottles since starting mine last March. When I first mixed it up, I had an SG of 1.080. I added about half the f-pac and a couple cups of sugar to bring the SG to 1.084. I ended up with an ABV just over 12%. It's got a nice crispness with strawberry on the nose. There was a sorbate smell and taste early on which has mostly subsided, but is still there. I think its a really good value and I'm looking forward to digging into it this summer.

I consider it an early drinker. I've also got the bulk of mine saved for warm weather this year. I added the full f-pack (though I subbed the yeast for one that doesn't happen to metabolize 30% of the malic acid). It tastes more than "barely" off-dry to me. I wish it were drier, so I'd add at least 1/2 the f-pack up front if I were to make it again...but that's MY palate. FYI, mine finished at 0.994 and the f-pack brought it up to 1.002.

This is a nice wine with decent acidity and juicy strawberry and blood orange flavors. Enjoy!

Anyone know of a store that would still sell this or has an old kit (from last year) still on sale? I just saw I missed the deadline and I'd like to get this kit made and some age on it.

Thanks!

Anyone know of a store that would still sell this or has an old kit (from last year) still on sale? I just saw I missed the deadline and I'd like to get this kit made and some age on it.

Thanks!

Try contacting Label Peelers. They are good to work with and have good prices. Most places order extras, so you can probably snag one from them when they come in.

Try contacting Label Peelers. They are good to work with and have good prices. Most places order extras, so you can probably snag one from them when they come in.

Sounds great! Thanks!

I've got another question, I'll post here and someone let me know if I should start a new thread. My girlfriend loves this wine:
http://www.chapoutier.com/cotes-du-rhone-rose,belleruche-2013,wine,108.html

My thought is that this kit should come close to that? I was thinking I would buy some other wines such as Cinsault or Syrah to mix in and/or top off. Any suggestions on what would get me closer?

Thanks again!

This is really tasty. I made it with 3/4 of the f-pack so it is off-dry. Its going to be lovely this spring/summer when I would normally want to buy a case of the beautiful dry rose from Alexander Valley Vineyards.

Tried a couple of bottles so far (it's only been ~3 months) and we find it pretty fruity (citrus). Should be great in the summer, but right now it's a little too light for our winter tastebuds. I made it stock with the entire f-pack and filtered with 5-micron.

I know this is hard to believe but another 6 weeks later we tried a bottle and it had really changed. Still light, but a lot of character and flavors suddenly blossomed. At 3 months it was "meh", now it's "let's open another one!". This is going be even better than i thought.

steve

Latest posts

Back