liguid smoother and conditioner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlover

Junior
Reaction score
what is the effectiveness of these products and is it worth using on aWE
smiley2.gif
chilean cabernet. and if so how much conditioner?

These products that "smooth and condition" wine are usually liquid oak and glycerine. Sometimes conditioner is also nothing more than liquid sugar with sorbate in it.

to my tastebuds, liquid oak is aweful.
to my tastebuds, glycerine is good for about 2-4 months, after that, I think it ruins the wine so much I would not even cook with it.

And if it's sugar, well, I'm not sure that a sweet cabernet is what I'd choose.

Time will make it smooth.

I am with Wade and Dean and stick with aging the wine to smooth it out and if you want more oak try using cubes, chips or spirals sold for this purpose.

I thought I was the only one who dislikes the conditioners, so I hadn't replied.I used some twice when I began and even as a novice, I felt I ruined the wine by adding it. I haven't used it since- just try to practice patience and wait it out.

Appleman, I havent used the smoother but did use the conditioner on a batch of cranberry and it gave it an artificial sweet flavor that I do not like. My mom seems to like this particular batch and I havent tried it in at least 6 months so maybe Ill give it another taste but as soon as I added it It ruined it. Thats really when I started reducing juices on the stove to sweeten if it needed be.

thanks for the advice patience is the key. i am glad i did not use them yet just chomping at the bit to drink these young wines. A sweet product is not what i want

Back