Light

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubador

Reaction score
I know that long exposure to sunlight or incandescent lighting is not good for wine in a carboy or bottle. My question is just how much does "long exposure" represent.

The room which I store my carboys and aging wines is dark 95 to 99% of the time, however, whenever I have the light on in there racking a wine or gathering equipment, etc... I grow concerned that the light will have a negative effect.

Any quantitative ideas on how much light is "ok" in general to not effect the wine?

I always wrap my carboys in a large towel. Some folks use T shirts and others make simple material pull overs.
I know that one of the northern ladies uses cardboard boxes. Ill bet that it is not a serious concern although I try to keep my wines covered.

I really dont know the answer as you can see
smiley19.gif

If your room is dark unless you are in there working then you are fine since we all do this without issues.

Not to worry!

I've often wondered just how much of an issue light really is. Especially when in a liquor store where it is pretty much in some of light continually.

My brewshop in philly ages his wines on the floor in the shop just a t shirt over them

I hear you Waldo, even the very expensive wines that are shelved nicely are sitting there in light.

The 4 foot florescent light fixture in my wine making room is on 24/7 and has never had a noticeable effect on the wines that I make. I have had jugs and carboys in there for over a year with no effect on color or taste.

The reason it's on 24/7 is my room was put there temporarily so I just have a light hanging from the ceiling on chains with a cord that plugs in. When the room was new, I could get to te plug to unplug it, as I grew, so did the pile of stuff in fron of the plug...................... so it stays on!

Latest posts

Back