Lemon Balm Wine - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't get rid of it so I may as well see if we can can get along.

After tasting the leaves I noticed if the plant is starting to flower it becomes very bitter. Fortunately I had one that wasn't flowering yet.
Basic flower wine recipe. Juice of 1 lemon, some of the zest, a little citric acid to lower pH.

I wasn't expecting the color!

balm 1.jpg balm 2.jpg

Transferred to secondary.
Lost some of the vibrant yellow.
Has an incredible lemon flavor! I wasn't expecting that.
There's also an "herbal" element. Not medicinal. It's not unpleasant - I just don't care for a lot of "herbal" concoctions I've tasted over the years.
We'll see where this goes.

balm transfer.jpg

I have tons of this growing wild in my backyard. Can't wait to see how it turns out for you.

2 years ago I mixed my Lemon Balm with Strawberry to ferment- but I just never like a Strawberry Wine. 😝 It’s dry and potent, but I wish I had left it with just the Lemon Balm.
I was worried it wouldn’t have flavor.
It’s on my list for next Spring. I noticed after it flowers in the hot Summer, it has a fall surge. I’m going to taste to see where it is now?. Lemon Balm Sumac might be a really good combo? Happy fermenting.

2 years ago I mixed my Lemon Balm with Strawberry to ferment- but I just never like a Strawberry Wine. 😝 It’s dry and potent, but I wish I had left it with just the Lemon Balm.
I was worried it wouldn’t have flavor.
It’s on my list for next Spring. I noticed after it flowers in the hot Summer, it has a fall surge. I’m going to taste to see where it is now?. Lemon Balm Sumac might be a really good combo? Happy fermenting.
As a gardener I hate lemon balm - I can't get rid of it. Keeps popping up everywhere. If my wine turns out well my disdain may be tempered a bit and I'll accept it...but I don't think I'll ever welcome it.

As a gardener I hate lemon balm - I can't get rid of it. Keeps popping up everywhere. If my wine turns out well my disdain may be tempered a bit and I'll accept it...but I don't think I'll ever welcome it.
Look at it differently -- if the Lemon Balm comes out good, it gives you reason to be diligent in picking what's growing in inconvenient places! ;)

Look at it differently -- if the Lemon Balm comes out good, it gives you reason to be diligent in picking what's growing in inconvenient places! ;)
That's my thought. I have dozens of recipes where it's one of the ingredients. In my garden it goes from a sneaky little sprout to 2 feet across in one season.

When life hands you lemon balm.... Well, with @BigDaveK , you know the rest :)

When life hands you lemon balm.... Well, with @BigDaveK , you know the rest :)
We've had cold nights for a while but last night was below 30 for the first time. It breaks my heart to know my foraging fun is done till next year. 😭

Although...I have a couple possibilities using roots.

We've had cold nights for a while but last night was below 30 for the first time. It breaks my heart to know my foraging fun is done till next year. 😭

Although...I have a couple possibilities using roots.
Have you made Parsnip?.
I have it on my goals list..
There is alway wintertime Cranberry wine ..:}
And, clean -the-freezer wine. ;)

Latest posts

Back