Legs?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomK-B said:
Do kit wines have legs? If so, how does that happen?

Yes ... The more alcohol, the more legs.

Legs are a product of the simple fact that alcohol (ethanol) in wine, evaporates more quickly than water. This is called the Marangoni effects. The alcohol crawls up the glass as it evaporates, but since there is a film of water on top, it is pushed up in an arch. Eventually gravity wins, the water's surface tension is broken, and down runs the water, in tears.

Thanks, Rick. This is a very educational forum. I looked up "Marangoni effect" on Wikipedia. They have a nice article.

I thought it probably had something to do with tannin or the water/juice ratio or something like that. Hmmmm . . . so if my wines are turning out without legs/tears, does that mean I'm not getting much alcohol content?

TomK-B said:
Thanks, Rick. This is a very educational forum. I looked up "Marangoni effect" on Wikipedia. They have a nice article.

I thought it probably had something to do with tannin or the water/juice ratio or something like that. Hmmmm . . . so if my wines are turning out without legs/tears, does that mean I'm not getting much alcohol content?

Yes I just researched this subject myself because my wife was reading an article in a local paper. A lot of people have a mis-understanding about "wine legs" ... they think it's a sign of a great wine.

Latest posts

Back