Cellar Craft Lees on side of Carboy??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
<TABLE id=productsnew borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" align=center border=1 ="Catalog"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD align=default width="2%" ="table">
<DIV align=center>140288 </TD>
<TD width="5%">
<DIV align=center>
CCGP_sm.jpg
</TD>
<TD width="20%">

Red Mountain Cabernet - with "Crushed grape pack"

The vineyards at Red Mountain have high calcium carbonate in their soil, which imparts a distinctive chalkiness to Cabernets. The chalkiness combines with the powerful dark fruit qualities of the grape to create the big, chewy mouth-feel that is a clear signature of Red Mountain Cabernet.</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

I was about ready to bottle this and on the sides of the carboy looks like lees stuck to the sides. Should I add superkleer to this? Or is it ok to bottle?

Ok, will try that. I really didn't notice until today. Been in the carboy about a month.

Are you sure its lees and not crystals?

Take a sample out and see how clear the wine is. I asume you added all the fining agents including the clairifier and racked after that? Crystals form on the sides of the carboys when the temp is on the cooler side.

Some of the kits form sediment on the sides of the carboy especially the ribbed ones. Ones you notice it forming on, give the carboy a quick twist or lightly bump it on the bottom(better on carpet or a towel. The sediment then drops to the bottom. If you have sediment showing up anywhere it probably isn't ready to bottle. Try to drop it to the bottom and give it a few days and then you can rack it off those lees, give it a bit longer then bottle.

Do as Appleman says and I find the quick twist safer and works better for me.

Latest posts

Back