WineXpert Chocolate Raspberry Port!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started the kit 7 NOV. It has always been up off of the floor (slab foundation) and home temp
is around 72-74 by thermostat, and my readings while in the primary
remained within the stated fermentation range (65-75F).

Still, the fermentation started very, very slow. Because of the slow speed, I was concerned that it might be stuck, so I tried to speed things up by assuring must temp was at the mid-high range. I did this by wrapping in a heating blanket, just before Thanksgiving. This allowed me to get down to SG 1.015 and I proceeded to chaptalization; holding the fermentation temp at 74-76. Post Chaptalization SG: 1.030.

Secondary fermentation began 4 December with a SG of 1.020 and there it remains. Having been gone for the holidays, I was hoping that we would be down to where I can stabilize, but nope. The kit calls for the SG to be 1.010 before stabilization.

After stirring, I am getting some CO2 production, but it is still painfully slow. I am hoping my precocious port will eventually mature, but it think I am needing some expert guidance at this point.

You may want to splash it around - dump it back into a sanitized primary (or between 2 primaries) a few times. Also keep this baby warm, it'll make degassing easier.
VC

vcasey said:
You may want to splash it around - dump it back into a sanitized primary (or between 2 primaries) a few times. Also keep this baby warm, it'll make degassing easier.
VC

Racking it a couple of times is worth a try. Nothing to loose anyway.

It is terrific, just wish they could figure out why this kit wants to die so early.

Since this is only a 3 gallon kit, would you only add 1/8 tsp of k-meta for aging instead of the standard 1/4???

After you have used the initial packet then yes after every 3 months of aging use 1/8th tsp.

OK everyone, well after a promising start; fermentation has completely
stopped at 1.020. The kit says to ferment to 1.010 before stabilizing
and clarification; and of course the addition of the F-pack.

I guess I am needing to know what all you four- and five-stars would do standing in my shoes. When the kit started, I was sitting at 1.132 SG & a potential alcohol of 17.5% . Before Chaptalization, I was at 1.015 SG; bringing my calculated actual alcohol conversion to 14%.

After Chaptalization, SG rose to 1.030. Now I sit at 1.020 so I would calculate my alcohol to be only about 15.5 with residual sugar of 5 brix BEFORE the addition of the F-Pack.

One option immediately comes to mind: brandy it up to lower the SG, then proceed to Clarify and stabilize. However, I will still have a wine that is cloying unless I push the alcohol well above 20%. (Also, feel free to call me on the math. I'm new at the lab analysis side of the game. I am adding and subtracting off of my triple scale).

I am open to your comments and suggestions.

I still think you should rough rack it several times a day. Also did you read Tim V's post, he offers some suggestions as well.

Never mind. I found it. Great!! I will run rough-shod with it for a few days then this weekend, start another kit and see if we cannot finish this puppy on the lees of the new kit. Great idea!!!!!!

Shout out to Tim V and to Vcasey!!!!!!!

I almost posted a link to Tim's reply (he is after all the head of kit development at Winexpert so he should know), but noticed Vcasey had already linked it two posts from your original question so I stopped. I assumed you had read it and didn't think it would help so I didn't know what else for you to try. ...........

Thanks Appleman. No, I hadn't read it prior. I came by the thread originally by searching Chocolate Raspberry Port and there it was. Then, only a page or so from my original post, I saw reference to this being a problem kit and to stir it. I never went that far back in the history.

Thanks for watching out for me, though!

Thanks everyone, and especially to Tim V. I bought an All Juice Amarone from George and on transfer to carboy, racked the SRP over the lees left behind in the primary; then back to my 3 Gal carboy. The next morning (today), fermentation is back underway. I need only another .001 to get to stabilization and clarification.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I tasted my CRP today and wow what a heavy chocolate flavor!!! It's only 2 months old and am wondering if this heavy chocolate will lessen over time?
Thanx

rrawhide

It will blend in more like oak. I know lots of people who wish it didnt though!

Latest posts

Back