Lees amount?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grmtgirl

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all! Go figure, a newbie who has a problem/Question! I've homebrewed beer for 2 years w/out any "real" problem. Now, I'm trying my hand @ wine. Problem #1: I've determined I missed adding the sugar to a batch!:slp
I have two 5 gal apple wines that have been in carboys 4 days. Both were perking right along. However, I discovered couple days ago 1 batch has about 4" of lees @ bottom & the other very little. They are only different in recipe by extraction method & type of apples. Question #1: Can anyone simply tell me which batch missed the sugar? or do I need to use hydrometer? Question #2: I syphoned off the liquid & transferred into 3 gal. I saved the lees & about 3" of liquid in another container w/airlock. Reason, thought I could back sweeten (think that's the right term). Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Solution for the future: keep my husband out of the kitchen while I'm playing!:)

Not Sure

Hi,

I'm hesitant to answer your question, but would not hesitate to suggest you make sure to use your hydrometer. When making wine right from the get go it is important to know your starting sugar level. Some folks use brix and others use SG. It makes no difference, but you need to know your starting level. With apple wine I figure you would want your starting SG to be around 1.85 and perhaps higher. This would be a brix level of about 23 if I'm not mistaking. Most fruit wines do not have enough sugar to reach the desired final ETOH level so additional sugar is required. Starting SG/brix is critical. Also you need to know your starting TA and pH.

Regarding your question, I'd figure the one without the lees was the one without the sugar.

Best of luck with your wine.

Paul

First off Welcome to winemakingtalk.

Please post up your sg for when you started and what it is now. Just because there are more lees in one batch that another does not necessarily say you forgot the sugar, unless you know specifically that you did not add the sugar. The determination would be the one that had a very low starting gravity as compared to the one that had sugar added.

really wishing...

I hadn't started my expedition w/recipe from net~ it does not give a SG (I just confirmed). My hope was it would be "foolproof"...But I do know how much sugar I had in the house when I started & what I still have in the house-which is too much & not used. When I get home, I'll dig into the 2 books I received after starting this! Lesson learned-sometimes I'm too eager! I appreciate both thoughts, any others or suggestions would still be greatly appreciated!

Back