WineXpert LE2013 Pacific Quartet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiphorn

Junior
Reaction score
I bought two of the LE2013 kits at my local shop. Before I started my first one I replaced the spigot on my bucket because the inside looked really nasty and I couldn't find a way to open the valve to clean it.

When I made the first kit the new spigot dripped about 10 drops and stopped. I made another kit after that and had no issues. A week ago I started the LE2013 Pacific Quartet. It was done fermenting but I didn't have an opportunity to move on to step two. Yesterday afternoon I noticed a rather significant leak from the new spigot.

I racked it to a carboy but it appears I've lost about 3 quarts of the wine. Any suggestions on what I can add to the remaining wine to make up for what I've lost?

This is the type of spigot I have now.
2url9nr.jpg
Should I be using some type of food grade silicone on the valve to prevent leaks or do I have a bad spigot.

Thanks.

Did it leak from the spigot? Or from where it attaches to your bucket?
I believe my spigot is the exact same one. I've never done anything special with it and it has never leaked a drop.

There is a pretty good sized washer. Make sure you have it installed and make sure you tighten but not over tighten.

I've had the same leaking problem. Haven't been able to fix it. I have two other solid primaries (no spigot) that I use for fermenting so I'm just using the primary bucket with the spigot to store wine equipment at the moment. I have a sailboat. I'm thinking about trying to put some 3M sealer like you use in boat hull fittings on the outside of the bucket. Hopefully there would be minimal contact with the wine so it wouldn't hurt the wine. Anybody have a better solution?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I racked it to a carboy but it appears I've lost about 3 quarts of the wine. Any suggestions on what I can add to the remaining wine to make up for what I've lost?

I would transfer everything to a 6 gal carboy before you loose anymore (or a new pail if there are skins and other stuff). Finish the primary fermentation, and rack to a 6 gal carboy for the secondary fermentation. WE says the head space is not a problem, and I don't think the extra 3 qts will make much of a difference.

I would stabilize and clarify in a 6 gallon, but that is my preference. If you are concerned, then either: 1) clear marbles are good to take up space; or 2) mix everything in a 6 gallon carboy (or pail), and transfer to a 5 gallon carboy + glass jug.

After that, use 5 gallon + glass jug for continued aging.

I'd probably rack down to a 5 gal carboy, but if you want to top up I think Apothic White might be a good match. But, 4 bottles for topping might be a bit pricey.

Latest posts

Back