WineXpert LE Washington Cabernet Merlot?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just snagged a WE Limited Edition Washington Cabernet Merlot today. I have not seen much chatter on this kit so far on WMT. Has anyone made it yet?

The grapes are sourced from the Red Mountain AVA in Washington. It is an 18 L kit, but with no grape pack (as has been discussed here before). I am banking on the supposition that a high quality, 18 L kit trumps a grape pack.

Here are a couple things that surprised me a bit. The only oak it comes with is a modest bag of chips, and the yeast supplied is EC-1118. The latter wouldn't surprise me too much, except that the WE LE Oregon Pinot came with RC-212.

I made the Oregon Pinot without a single tweak, but I intend to swap out the yeast in the Cab/Merlot. I will also probably provide some tannins and/or oak, as well. Suggestions are always welcome.

Oh, my net cost, including tax, on this kit was only $106! The kits listed for $140 at Northern Brewer (my LHBS), but Northern gives a 15% discount for AHA members. Then, Northern ran a promotion for Father's Day to give $120 in gift certificates for $100. Pretty good to get a LE kit for $100 pre-tax.:p

Nice score. I agree with the yeast swap and would probably go with RC212 or D254. In fact, I did two versions of the "Red Mountain Trio" (cab/syrah/merlot) that CC did as a LE a couple years ago. One was with D254. Both are good, but the D254 is a little better.

I would think a Cab/Merlot could handle considerably more oak than that. One American and one French spiral in carboy would be my recipe. Great price. Congrats.

Nice score. I agree with the yeast swap and would probably go with RC212 or D254. In fact, I did two versions of the "Red Mountain Trio" (cab/syrah/merlot) that CC did as a LE a couple years ago. One was with D254. Both are good, but the D254 is a little better.

Was the other done with EC-1118, or something else?

New here and your thread title caught my eye.

I am actually going to bottle mine in the next couple of weeks. First batch ever and my motto is go big or go home...that's why I jumped in with this LE kit.

Anyone use the Allinone or other vacuum pump? I was going to hack a design but until I priced things out and added time, I thought maybe the investment was worth it.

Can't wait to fill my new wine rack I built last weekend.

photo.JPG

New here and your thread title caught my eye.

I am actually going to bottle mine in the next couple of weeks. First batch ever and my motto is go big or go home...that's why I jumped in with this LE kit.

Anyone use the Allinone or other vacuum pump? I was going to hack a design but until I priced things out and added time, I thought maybe the investment was worth it.

Can't wait to fill my new wine rack I built last weekend.

Very impressive!

And the All-in-One pump is more than worth the price. The fact that it is specifically designed for wine racking and bottling (or beer, if you get the adapter) makes it even better.

I guess I am allowed to play along with the threadjack of my own thread :) I hacked my own vacuum degassing rig, but that is because I have ready access to vacuum equipment. I think it would be pretty hard to rig your own that would be as good as the AIO at the price of the AIO.

I have not made this kit, but one of my favorites is the CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab Merlot. It comes with 30g french medium shavings and 30g french heavy shavings for primary, and 60g of Medium Plus Hungarian Oak cubes for aging. Very delicious!

I made the first batch with EC-1118 and I am about a month into a second batch with D254.

I have not made this kit, but one of my favorites is the CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab Merlot. It comes with 30g french medium shavings and 30g french heavy shavings for primary, and 60g of Medium Plus Hungarian Oak cubes for aging. Very delicious!

I made the first batch with EC-1118 and I am about a month into a second batch with D254.

Yeah, I have that one bulk aging. Made it with D254 and some added tannins. It shows GREAT promise!

As for this batch, I asked my wife's opinion, and she opted for RC212. She rarely expresses an opinion on these things, so I am definitely taking her advice.

Okay, update. I pitched yeast on this kit this evening. Starting SG was 1.101. I used RC212 yeast; I decided to rehydrate it using the standard MoreWine! protocol, including 3 g of Nutriferm Energy. I also added 8.0 g of FT Rouge tannin.

Yeah, well, I figgered between the lack of grape skins and the lack of oak, I had better tannin-tweak! Who knows? :?

FWIW, I'd have likely done something similar.

Pitched my Monatrell-Petit Verdot tonight. That had dried skins, and I still added a tsp of tannin.

FWIW, I'd have likely done something similar.

Pitched my Monatrell-Petit Verdot tonight. That had dried skins, and I still added a tsp of tannin.

Well, 8 g is the dose that the FT Rouge people recommend. I have been adding it to almost all of my kits since I got it, skins or no.

Okay, I just checked my records. I have added that much, more or less, to four kits: Rosso Fortissimo, Yakima Cab Shiraz, Walla Walla Cab/Merlot, and this one. Seems like it had been more. (I skipped the Oregon Pinot.)

To my GSM 12L kit I added "regular" wine tanning, didn't measure but maybe ~4TSP.

Hope it works well! I had an interesting comparison between "regular" tannins and FT rouge. I have used cheap, LD Carlson tannin, too. I mixed it up with must, and took a tiny sip. Ughh, ack, bitter, sickening, get that out of my mouth!! :s I tried the same thing with FT Tannin rouge, and the taste was intense but not unpleasant: coffee, toasted nuts, wood... That was enough to sell me!

I get to bottle my kit this week. Just received my AIO pump and am waiting on the filter. Due to arrive on Tuesday. Going to practice using water first, then a xfer of a primary to a secondary with another batch I have going.

Excited and anxious all at the same time. Just not looking forward to the wait for aging.....

Latest posts

Back