WineXpert Eclipse

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev

Reaction score
After two years of teasing, it is finally here. I just ordered all 5 reds. On top of LE 2012, it is going to be a busy and productive wine making season.

So what's coming in Eclipse this Fall:

Dry Creek Chardonnay

German Mosel Gewurztraminer

New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc

Washington Columbia Riesling

Washington Yakima Pinot Gris

Italian Piedmont Barolo with grape skins
Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel with grape skins
Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon withgrape skins
Napa Stag's Leap Merlot with grape skins
Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir

Some additional details:

How are these wines different fromEstate? How are they similar? In particular the Stags Leap Merlot

The inherent character of each wine,particularly in the case of favourites such as Stag's Leap Merlot, werepreserved. Enhancements were made to deliver optimal body, structure andcharacter so that Eclipse wines could directly compete with commercial wines.

Kits are 18L - skins kits are 16l with2l wet grape skin packs

Aging is comparable to Estate. They willdrink well young at 3 months but deliver full character and complexity at 6months and beyond.

Dual yeast for New Zealand MarlboroughSauvignon Blanc and Washington Yakima Valley Pinot Gris to ensure outstandingaromatics for both wine styles.

Two stage oak process to ensure optimalcomplexity and flavour for each style of wine:

Italian Piedmont Barolo with grape skinsLodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon with grape skins Napa Stag's Leap Merlot withgrape skins

Kev

Last edited:
Eclipse Pricing

The New Eclipse wines are about $140 each in Canada, so they are a bit pricey, but you can always push for a discount if you buy more than one.

I am also going to try the Mosti Mondale Meg Barolo:mny ( Janurary ) this year, so in comparison Eclipse looks reasonable.

OK, I'm interested. Where can one obtain these?

Any wine kit retailer that carries WE should have it. The soft launch was two weeks ago to the dealers. It hits the main stream press in November.

You can order now.

Kev

What I don't like to see is "drinkable after 3 months". What a waste. I think any full body reds need a year.

Kev

Are you sure these are Eclipse thing? It sounds like they made the Estate series with skins and some other adjustments.
On the other forum about a year ago Tim promised that the Eclipse series would not have any skins.

Wookey

What I don't like to see is "drinkable after 3 months". What a waste. I think any full body reds need a year.

Kev

I have a problem with that statement, too. Doesn't make sense that a really good wine, capable of competing against commercials, could possible be drinkable in 3 months. Good 6 months and beyond? ...OK(???)

Guess it all depends on one's definition of "drinkable". At least the ones with grape packs, IMO, are going to need much longer to have the aroma and mature taste of their commercial equivalents.

Are you sure these are Eclipse thing? It sounds like they made the Estate series with skins and some other adjustments.
On the other forum about a year ago Tim promised that the Eclipse series would not have any skins.

Wookey

I am positive, I just ordered them. The dealers have the info.

The soft launch to the dealers has taken place. The hard launch to the press is next month, so Tim on the other forum will likely not be commenting until then.

Kev

In that case, it looks like it is going to replace the Estate series. I do not see how they can market them alongside each other. Especially the whites which are identical.

About early drinkability, it was promised from the beginning. According to the sources from the other forum, it was the main reason of the 2 year delay in the program, they were not very happy with the results. WE released SI with skins as a step towards the Eclipse. It is also advertised as early drinker.

Wookey

Wookey

Just spoke with the distributor, they are not in the U.S. yet and with no ETA:rn

That is probably the case. I did not ask, but the dealer commented that they were doing a price comparison with the Estate series, before putting out their price list.

Sounds good. Although I am afraid it will cost too much in the UK. We have the Estate series on sale for about 120 pounds. I dare not to think what the Eclipse will cost.

Wookey

I was going to purchase the LE2012 Nebbiolo with skins, but will wait for the Eclipse Piedmont Barolo with skins.
I'm just starting the Brunello with skins, which has two yeasts. Wonder if WE will keep the existing wines with skins as the premium, or move them to the Eclipse line.
Cheers,

TJ

Straight from WE's Tim, on another forum:

"Well, the cat's out of the bag on that!

Since I helped write that stuff in the link, I will testify to it's truth. And, we're delivering asap--probably start arriving in the US by the last week of October.

And we've run down the stock of regular Estate, so it's unlikely that there will be any on offer before the new ones come in. Sorry!"

November is going to be a great brewing month!!!

Kev

wookey said:
Sounds good. Although I am afraid it will cost too much in the UK. We have the Estate series on sale for about 120 pounds. I dare not to think what the Eclipse will cost.

Wookey

Surely the estate series will e discontinued,this seems like Rebranding to me.

Latest posts

Back