Best WineXpert Bold red kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tradowsk

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been making sweet and semi-sweet fruit wines for a while, but I really want to get into some reds.

My family and I all love big, bold reds and I wanted some input on some WineXpert kits from people who have made them.

Specifically, we are looking for a full-bodied red with strong tannins and oak, a balance of fruit and earthiness, and lower acid. I know some of these characteristics can be adjusted, but I'm looking for the kit that comes closest since this will be my first "real" aged wine.

Look at the WE site, I see these kits might match what I want:

Barossa Valley Shiraz with Grape Skins
Forza
Italian Piedmont Nebbiolo with Grape Skins
Lodi Ranch 11 Cab Sauv with Grape Skins
Luna Rossa

I would love some input from people who have made 1 or more of these kits as to how they turned out and any modifications that you made from the instructions.

Thanks!
~Tim

Luna Rossa is not a big red.

try Nebbiolo, any good Barolo, the higher the priced kit the better the wine that fits your categories.

Luna Rossa is not a big red.

The description is literally: "Winexpert's 'Big Red' is the largest, most full-bodied red wine ever released!" haha

But I don't trust those descriptions which is why I'm asking here. All those kits I put above are roughly the same price

Done the Luna Rossa a few times very nice wine oaky always gets good comments from friends

If you want something you can drink in a couple months, I'd go with Luna Rossa. If you're willing to wait at least a year but prob 2 (my guess), Lodi Ranch Cab

Lodi Cab is 2 years, and extended Maceration may shorten the aging.

I like the Forza very much. I also really like the WE SE Int'l w/skins Brunello. Have had very good feedback from others when they sampled my first try at this kit. I'm making a second one and plan on using the extended maceration plan that others have been using here. I'm into the first few days of that process, plan on letting that go for about eight more weeks, then rack, then treat like a normal kit wine (probably age for at least another year and bottle).

Latest posts

Back