WineXpert LE South African Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James, I believe that kit isnt a Petite Sirah, but a syrah. I know they are very close to the same, but I dont think they are one in the same. The only Petite Sirah kits that I was able to find was the Grand Cru that I did (wasnt overwhelmed) and the Mosti all juice kit which I would like to eventually try.

What was it about this kit that its lacking? Or what were you hoping for? I like I said wasnt overly impressed with the Grand Cru PS either. I have added some oak spirels to try to add a bit of body to it. The flavor wasnt all that bad, but it was WAY to thin for me.

Just a comment, and only slightly apropos of what is being discussed here.
I started the MM Amarone a bout ten days ago. I have oaked before but they have about four times the amount of oak that I have used.

I've always heard to be careful of the oak because you don't want too much. I think now that I have been too careful in the past and maybe need to do more in future.

I started mine on 1/15/07 (SG 1.092). I put all the oak in at firstper theinstructions. When I racked to the carboy 5 days later (SG 1.010)I had quite a few oak chips that were still floating that came over to the secondary. After another week I no longer see any chips in motion, just a nice slow bubble from time to time.
smiley10.gif

Edited by: mikeforeman

Wow, am I behind the ball. I have been way to busy with work, kids with colds and setting up different home networks.
smiley29.gif

Still, there is sits in my wine cellar just waiting to be opened. Maybe this weekend.

So far, I've only seen a clumpy packet. All I know is that I have to get it started before my next kit arrives.

Stabilized my Shiraz tonight and added 2oz of heavy toast French oak cubes.

I did my first racking after stabilizing and there was an amazing layer of sediment.
20070211_204544_sediment.jpg

Ihad the carboy set up at an angle and got all of the clear and some dregs. After adding the extra K-meta it took almost one and one half bottles to top it off. It is looking really good.

My South African Shiraz is in the fining stage, however I'm experimenting. I have read and re-read an article by Tim V entitled "Make Your Wine Kit Shine". In it, he discusses many ways to improve kit wine, if you have the time. One point he makes on fining is that one should do the absolute minimum necessary to clear the wine and let time do it. Taking that to heart, I used only 1/3 the amount of fining agent (chitosin?). I also used only 1/4 the amount of sorbat, Tim V's thoughts being that sorbat has "taste" and if your sanitation is good enough then you can leave it out.

Some thoughts from the pros would be appreciated.

Jim

Jim,

I agree and the wine should really clear all on it's own without any fining since it is just solids and with enough time and the gravitational pull of the earth it will happen.
smiley4.gif

Tip: Give the carboy a gentle but firm rocking once in a while to knock the fines off the sides and help settle the lees on the bottom.

The sorbate issue is a bit confusing as I have read recent discussions with Tim on the lack of almost everyone not being able to detect the taste from the amount of sorbate used in WE kits.

Congrats on pushing to the edge to make a better wine and keep us posted on the results.

Masta,

In the article I am refering to, Tim V says "Sorbate has a subtle, although definite sweetish taste. By leaving the sorbate out of the kit we can improve the varietal character and finish".

I'm sure the taste he is talking about is way to subtle for my undiscriminating palate, but that is what I was going by. From my earlier post you can see I did not have the guts to leave it out all together.

Well I just racked my VR aussie shiraz into a glass carboy tonight.The S.G reading was at 1.000..I willleave there another ten days as per directions to finish fermenting....
20070213_230108_lauren_baking_c.jpg

Angell,

I do not know what a sur lee process is, but I would like to. I am following the directions on the the kit, just stretching the time frame out a little bit. I added 1/3 the fining agent supplied by the kit so instead of letting it clear for 10 days? I will let it settle for 3 weeks, then rack for bulk aging.

El Wino, you'reShiraz looks real purrdy!

JimEdited by: James

Hey Masta !!!!! Have you tasted your's lately ? Just wondering about the oak. Tasted mine tonight and it's going to need some French oak, just don't know which toast to use. Looking for a little input.

No... but I am 8 days into bulk aging with 2 oz of Heavy Toast French Oak Cubes.

I agree this one needs more oak for me!

Steve, I can appreciate the quandary of how to oak this wine. In researching the types of oak used in South African Shiraz, these are some of my ideas about how to oak this kit:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

3 oz of American or French oak
2 oz of American oak and 1 oz of French oak
2 oz of French oak and 1 oz American oak

Another thought is to split the batch into 2 3-gallon carboys. In one add 2 oz of French or American oak, in the other no oak. After three months of aging the two carboys would be recombined, filtered and bottled.

Throw in the various levels of toasting available and the possibilities are endless.

Unfortunately I have a very limited amount of space for winemaking, one <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Shiraz</st1:place></st1:City> kit and too many ideas. This evening I transferred to Secondary, so I have a little time to decide how I am going to oak this wine.

This is wine Joseph. You have all the time in the world to decide what you want to do!

Wade, this is wine and you do not have all the time in the world to decide. There is a window of opportunity in which the winemaker must make decisions. Do I pick the grapes today? What adjustments do I make to the Must? What type of oak do I add and for how long? Once the winemaker has made the decision and acted accordingly it is difficult to undo. The winemaker has all the time in the world to live with his decision. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

The flavor of the grapeon this one is delicate. It's real nice with berry and nut flavor. It needs just a hint more oak; but like Joseph said
"you have a long time to live with the decision". I was hoping masta might have took a taste to see if it was going in the right direction. Use him for the guinea pig.
smiley2.gif

Back