WineXpert LE South African Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
So I just wanted to get a thread going for the LE kits as everyone gets them started. I am starting mine today...

I know that we have been continuously told to follow the directions, but I am just curious about something. The kit is designed to get into the bottle in 30 days, I however have no intention of bottling mine this soon. I will probably let it bulk age for at least a year. That being said the kit comes with 4 packages of oak to add during the primary and no oak to use after fermentation.

Do you think I would be out in left field if I only used 2 packages during primary and then add theother 2after fermentation is complete and just monitored the oaking of the wine and then rack off when I think it has a sufficient level of oak in it.

I am looking for ideas and to see what everyone else may be doing.

Ithinkthat when you use the sawdust in the primary it gets caught up with the lees and is easier to rack the wine from, but if you used it after clearing it's going to make a mess. My plan is to use all four packs and if I think it needs more later on I'll add some cubes during bulk aging. They're much easier to handle.

George,

Is there any way to find out what toast the oak that comes in the kit is?

Steve,
Try emailing the company. I have found they have been quite helpful numerous times!!

Francie

Just got this back from Winexpert:

Hello Steven,
Thank you for your contact and for choosing our products. This kit contains French Oak - it’s medium toast and extra small.

Cheers,
Linda Kazakoff

Just in case anyone else wanted to know.

Well, it is started. Temp 74 degrees - SG 1.092Edited by: Steve

Steve:

I would add all of the oak like it says. Then if you think it needs more you can buy cubes or spirals of the type and toast you want for aging. I think you get different taste characteristics with the oak dust in the primary fermantation that with similar oak toasts after fermentation.

Steve,
I'm with Maize, I think I'd follow the instructions and taste test it as you bulk age. I have also started my African Shiraz, but don't think I can bulk age it for one year. I tend to need my carboys for other adventures in the wine making.

I started mine last week and the thing is bubbling like crazy!! Smells great!!

Francie

Here is the beginning of my Limited Edition South African Shiraz. Everything seemed to be going just fine even though it looks funny in the picture. Four small bags of oak chips and the yeast.
20070115_162504_African_Shiraz_.png

Steve said:
So I just wanted to get a thread going for the LE kits as everyone gets them started. I am starting mine today...

I know that we have been continuously told to follow the directions, but I am just curious about something. The kit is designed to get into the bottle in 30 days, I however have no intention of bottling mine this soon. I will probably let it bulk age for at least a year. That being said the kit comes with 4 packages of oak to add during the primary and no oak to use after fermentation.

Do you think I would be out in left field if I only used 2 packages during primary and then add theother 2after fermentation is complete and just monitored the oaking of the wine and then rack off when I think it has a sufficient level of oak in it.

I am looking for ideas and to see what everyone else may be doing.

Tried the 2 packages during and 2 packages later thing last year. Every thing turn out alright but wished I just added more cubes during bulk aging. You don't gain anything by splitting the packages, just more sawdust to get stuck in the racking tube.

I started my South African Shiraz tonight. Put in all oak. I've been a month or six weeks without "cooking" anything and I'm glad to be back in the saddle.

I have had a Petit Syrah in a carboy for about two months now. I have added 1 American Oak, med toast, spiral and plan to leave it for six weeks. It's been in a month and taste tests are excellent. I will age in carboy at least six months after I pull the oak. I think it's going to be great.

I started the shiraz last night and discovered I have a yeast problem with this kit as well. The yeast is all clumped up in a brick... all stuck together. Moisture cause this maybe?

James - the Petit Syrah sounds great

Started mine today and since it was straight off the FedEx truck the temp of the juice was only 50 degrees. I normally would let the juice warm back to room temp before starting but I have a busy weekend planned. With the use of my instant read dial thermometer I was also to add the enough warm water so the kit so itwas in the correct range for starting fermentation.

Shiraz is my favorite wine!!

James, which kit was the petite sirah? I have the Grand Cru going now, and Im not real happy with it. Just added some Am Oak Heavy Toast spirals. I will check it in a few weeks, but its real thin right now.Edited by: JohnnyK68

Transferedmy batch today to secondary at day 8 (SG 1.000) since I didn't get to it sooner and the color and smell is wonderful.
smiley20.gif

Took 10 days to get to 1.008. I'm really excited about this one. Might need just a little French oak at the end. Time will Tell.

JohnnyK68,

Sorry, I haven't been on the forum in a while. My Syrah kit was a "Crushendo Santa Ynez Valley Petit Syrah". I believe it is a WE kit.

I did one other Crushendo kit, an Italian red,last year that has been in the bottle about 6 months now. I have sampled a few bottles and it is very drinkable but not as "great" as I hoped it would be. I hope six more more months on the shelf will kick it up a notch.

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back