WineXpert LE Australian Verdelho

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Battonage is used on white wines mainly. I've never tried a red and probably won't.

Basically you take the must through complete fermation. All the way to the point of putting the fining agents in but Don't put them in. You add 1/4 teaspoon of K-Meta into the 6 gallon carboy and stir in. Every couple of days stir the sediment into suspension. You're not degassing so don't stir to hard. After a Month of stirring, Rackoff the sediment and add the rest of the packages (sorbate, Sulfite's and Clearing Agent).Degas at this stage. Wait a couple of weeks, Filter if you want and bottle.

Sang,

You can check the "buttery chardonnay" thread (you probably already have!) to get more information, and maybe compare it (dates of the postings) with the dates below .

I just checked my wine log and here is how I did it:

The stirring of the lees (every3-4 days)was between April 19th and May 20 -- which began the "two-week settling process." Note the "two weeks" was actually closer to 50 days!

On 7/10 I carefully racked, leaving behindall of the lees -- they were compacted and I racked with a 1/4 inch tube to go slow, which allowed me to get almost all the liquid. That is when I added packets 2&3 and stirred (with mix-stir) 3+ minutes (with some foam).

That same evening, I read the instructions and comments on the forum about needing "some sediment" to properly clear, so the next day (7/11) I added 1/2 cup of heavily sedimented mustreservedfrom the previous day (I always pour all my 'dregs' into a bottle and stop with airlock -- just for grins and to try later!).

I stirred with the mix-stir again for 3 minutes, on the theory that de-gassing again wouldn't hurt (which is was I was so mystified at bottling with the bubbles which I now think were just air).

On 8/7 I added 1/4 tsp of K-meta per instructions, topped with chardonnay and left to bulk age. It was clear as a proverbial bell!

Bottled on 12/27 -- even more clear andtasted great, and clear as anything I've seen come out of a commercial bottle.

I'll be happy to try to answer any questions this brings to mind...

DaveEdited by: OilnH2O

Started the battonage tonight on my batch of Verdelho.

20070211_173905_Verdelho_Second.JPG

Actually I didn't check it tonight before adding the K-meta, stirringand topping up but it was at 1.004 back on the 27th when I transfered to the secondary.

I checked the SG visually and it was perfect.
smiley20.gif

I will give it a real check in 3 days in case I need to calibrate my eyes!
smiley36.gif

Started "battonage" on my Verdelho tonight, SG @ .996. Received the LE Grenache/Mourve... today. I'll get it started this weekend. I might get a Merlot kit next just because I can spell it.

Went through tasting every thing I had aging tonight. This little white wine was one of the best I've tried in while. Nice Fruity smell and creamy taste. Who Knows what it will taste like a year from now (if it last that long). Wine expert did a nice job finding this one.

Ok, it's been a full month since the last post. I'm curious to know how the battonage batches turned out. Too soon to ask?

I have a SEPinot Gris on the way and I'm considering this technique since we like the buttery whites.

Has anyone ever had a battonage batch not work out as originally planned or can offer potential pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks!

GrapeApe.

Started mine last Saturay, going to start the Australian Grenache this Saturday. Followed by Nap Valley Stag

Sneak a taste yesterday out of the carboy. Nice ! Heavy on the tongue. The full favors haven't come out yet. It's going to good but I just can't tell you how yet. Needs more time.

Latest posts

Back