Mosti Mondiale Lambrusco

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominick

Reaction score
photo-2-1.jpg

I'm baking another Cake. - Lambrusco!
Fermenting started Saturday 9/20/2008

smiley17.gif

Fermenting Volcano - came home from work today the foam lifted the cover and went down the sides of the fermenting bucket today hehe.
Just had to clean it up, stirred it for 5mins, now the foam is gone and this thing is bubbling, fizzing and sparkling. - You know when youpour a glass of soda and the fizz shoots upwards into the air... kinda like that.

ITS ALIVE!

Looking really good Dominick! Is this a kit? If so which one? I did the Domaine Traditionand wasn't very impressed...untill two years in the bottle, now it is finally coming around to be pretty decent.

Very nice Dominick.
smiley20.gif
Don't think I've ever tried a Lambrusco. Time for some research. he he

Sounds like a really good wine from the description. Keep us all posted.

Lambrusco is a old underdog of a Wine.

There is the cheap garbage out there they call Lambrusco that isnt even Lambrusco, So it really depends on where you get the grapes/grape juice. There are many imposters, some very sweet, but then there's the really good lambrusco which isnt so sweet and on the dryer side. Hopefully this is a good batch and comes out strong and frothy. I will post results and updates as it turns out, -

JWMINNESOTA sounds like you been aging it quite a while, they call for Lambrusco to be consumed young. How did it taste when it was young better or worse then it does now? - Maybe the brand you tried wasnt event a lambrusco, but called Lambrusco I hear this happens alot.

Here is some references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambrusco
http://italianfood.about.com/od/aboutwine/a/aa032797.htm
http://www.mensvogue.com/food/cellar/articles/2008/06/lambrusco
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/dining/18pour.html
http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/tasting-room/2007/4/30/Not-Your-Grandmothers-Lambrusco
http://thepour.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/07/26/lambrusco-no-joke/
http://terroir.winelibrary.com/2007/04/14/lambrusco-yes-youre-reading-this-right-lambrusco/
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambrusco
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Lambrusco

You are so right Dominick, there are a lot of imposter's when it comes to Lambrusco. A GOOD Lambrusco is indeed a treat, not the cheap Riunite we drank in school, but something along the lines of Concerto. Nice , fruity, and dry! While it is intended to be consumed young, the kit I made was very weak, thin, bland tasting until recently, and still not one I would brag about.A good lesson that higher priced kits do often mean higher quality. Hope yours turns out great, looking forward to the reviews it receives.

TRue what u said,,,, If I had the time and money id have acres of land with grapes everywhere - that is alot of work and money, i wouldnt mind running a vineyard, but the costs are so high. or you could go another route and just order the real grapes and have them shipped via container and do it from scratch. Nothing like having it off the fresh vines. - I'm new to kits so I cant really comment on them, I guess if they can win awards they must not be that bad. - But nothing is like ordering fresh lambrusco grapes from modena or any grape/region, and having them processed into wine, also alot of work and tweaking. I found the MM ALLJUICE is the closest thing to the real deal. Im probably wrong, they might be better, but the Nero i made and tasted from MM is quality. Its aging right now, cant wait till next year to see how it tastes.Edited by: Dominick

I can't remember the number of gallons of Cella Lambrusco I drank inmy younger days. $5 or $6 for a 1.5 liter bottle.

I just racked the Lambrusco added the oak chips.
Before I racked the Lambrusco I mixed/stirred the must up really good then I added 1 1/2 table spoon of yeast nutrients.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Edited by: Dominick

A long time ago, in a land not too far away, we had a long time affair with Lambrusco wine....the BIG bottles....
smiley4.gif

Would like to make this one should I ever do a kit....also Chianti...just for 'old times' sake.

I have been wanting to make this wine as we really like a good Lambrusco but never have ordered it as every Lambrusco I have ever drank has been a sparkling wine and this is a still wine. Are all Lambrusco's sparkling or are there still varieties to?

All Lambrusco supposed to be fizzy. The difference is between the cheap sweet and the better semi-dry/dry. Not huge on alcohol, but nice wine for a hot summer day/night. Id say 12% and under abv. Here is a cool little article on it.

Back in the '70s, when a lot of us were first learning about wine, two fancy "imported" wines seemed like the height of sophistication. One was the Portuguese rosé wine that came in intriguing, old-fashioned bottles: Lancer's and Mateus. And the other was an Italian wine called Lambrusco. Red, sweet and a little bit fizzy, the ubiquitous Riunite and Cella Lambrusco brands went great with pizza and, well, just about everything.
Years went by, our tastes matured and became more sophisticated, and nowadays many of us who can remember that generation look back on these once-favored wines with a mix of embarrassment and disdain.

But is that fair? After all, Lambrusco (named for its grape variety) is a wine with a long and respected history around Modena, where folks know their food and their wine. The traditional home of balsamic vinegar, Modena is smack-dab in the middle of Emilia-Romagna, not far from Bologna, a region that may just be the culinary epicenter of an entire country known for wonderful things to eat and drink. Would they drink lousy wine? I don't think so.
So, taking a fresh '00s look at that '70s wine, I reached out to Chambers Street Wines in NYC, one of the best shops in the U.S. for odd, offbeat and intriguing items, and found a truly unusual example of Lambrusco - Ceci 2004 "La Luna" - attractively priced in the middle teens. As best I can discern from the Italian-only information on the label and in a little booklet tied around the bottle neck, this is a "biodynamic" wine, made with careful attention to such niceties as the phase of the moon during production and bottling. It's a wine so artisanal that it came with the cork held securely in place by a carefully hand-tied "muzzle" fashioned from a length of twine.

Just to keep things honest, I also purchased a nostalgic memento of the '70s, a fresh bottle of Cella Lambrusco (remember the old "Chill a Cella" ad campaigns?) At a laughable $4.99, there wasn't much to lose; and somewhat to my surprise I noted that - along with the inviting "Soft Red Wine" and "Served Chilled" on the English-language labels, the more serious bits have evolved over time to reflect the wine's adherence to Italian wine law: It's not merely a "Lambrusco" but "Lambrusco Emilia Indicazione Geografica Tipica (IGT)."

Another of my offbeat theories is that Lambrusco makes an exceptional, if unexpected, match with fiery hot-and-spicy dishes because its bubbly nature and slight sweetness make it work more like beer than wine to quench the flames. So just to make things more interesting, I fashioned a bowl of Kung Pao chicken, kicked up to four-chile-pepper heat with a piquant blend of Sichuan hot bean paste, dried red-pepper flakes and hot red chile peppers, to go along with the wines.

The results were at least a little paradigm-shaking. The Ceci was tasty but atypical, quite fizzy, intensely fruity, but bone-dry, acidic and tannic, and almost up to the strength of standard table wines at 11 percent alcohol. A good red wine with a fizz, it reminded me a bit of some of the better Australian sparkling Shirazes I've tried. The Cella, meanwhile, was perhaps more of a surprise. Yes, it was sweetish, with a slight prickly fizz. But it was clean and fresh and flavorful, a surprisingly appealing quaff, and that edge of sweetness made it perhaps the better of the two when sipped with the fiery Chinese food.

There it is. Now, after all the millions of words I've penned on topics vinous and culinary, I guess I'll earn a footnote in history as the wine writer who praised Cella Lambrusco. I suppose one of these days I'll give the Portuguese sparkling rosés another try ...

Modern Lambrusco
The vine grows on the dry soils of the Modenese uplands and lower hillslopes, an area dotted with country mansions and ancient castles, where the Apennine chain, rising up to the peak of Monte Cimone, provides the cornice of an undulating landscape of rare beauty. In terms of surface lithology, the region demarcated by the productin guidelines can be divided into two distinct areas: the upland zone and a lower hill-slope zone. The soils typifying the uplands are low in permeability, rather infertile and difficult to work, being largely composed of sandy and marly clays, as well as scaly clays englobing limestone blocks of variable size. Here, the yeld is far from abundant, although high in quality and of marked characteristics. Lower down, the soils are made up of silt deposits and silty sands lying on a bed of gravel and therefore offer a good degree of permeability. On this land, the Lambrusco Grasparossa produces more abundant yields, mantaining similar characteristics to those encountered in the upland wines. It should be noted that while, in the course of history, this native upland vine gradually worked its way doen onto the lower slopes, thanks to the presence specific microclimatic conditions and a certain type of terrain, it has never spread out over the plain.

The wine is deep ruby in colour, with a violet sheen and a light froth with an edge of the same hue. The notable bouquet is fruity, fragrant and interesting, bringing to mind the aroma of the grape. According to Agazzotti "it emanates a pleasant scent of peach-almonds". Its keen, armonious flavour has delicious body, is well balanced in acidity and and slightly fruity, leaving a pleasant, somewhat bitter aftertaste. It makes an exellent aperitif and goes divinely with Modena’s typical pastries and desserts.
Edited by: Dominick

Latest posts

Back