Labels and Labelling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedvine

Tony (Twisted Vine)
Reaction score
Just wondering what other people use for labels, whether it be Avery labels, gummed paper or other

Its your choice if you get laser or ink jet labels. I get ink jet at stapes. I buy Staples brand in a box of 250 sheets (1500 labels) to get the greatest savings.

I use Avery 8255, which is a matte finish full sheet label. I print them 4 per page usually. I do have to cut them by hand, but it's not bad. They also come off pretty easily after soaking in water. A little knife scraping required, but no gummy mess.

As for software, my wife creates the labels, so she chooses whatever she feels like. Generally it's either Gimp in linux, or Paint.net in windows. But she creates the labels by hand on drawing paper and scans them in, so not too much digital manipulation required other than adding Text.

I use Photoshop Elements 7 and print them with an ink jet printer on inexpensive semigloss photo paper, 4 to a sheet.

Wade-

I've been using the gummed paper as well, just wanted to see what others were doing. Have you sprayed your labels with clear polyurathane before applying. It gives them a nice finish and then the colors dont run if they happen to get wet. I used a matte finish poly.

I bought patterned paper at a scrapbook supply store and printed the type of wine and date on the paper, then used some scrapbook stamps to make it extra special. Cut the paper with and attached it with a glue stick. I like this because I can customize a bottle for a birthday gift or girls night out.

I dont see why not. But believe it or not alot of people just use milk as a glue. "paint" it on the back of your label and stick away.

I use Avery Design Pro and labels 5164. Unfortunatly Office Max and Office depot cannot print these on laser printers as they don't have the software. I print these and spray with a clear enamel but they can still have a tendency to run. Oh well...MS publisher would be nice but not in the budget.

Latest posts

Back