Mosti Mondiale Kristalblok instructions?????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvanzandt03

Junior
Reaction score
The instructions do not provide much detail on the use of Kristalblok. i took a stab and just put the pouch straight in to the carvoy after adding the other clearing additives and stabilizers.

Anyone know the correct procedure for using this stuff?

Thanks in advance

A little more information would be helpful....What kit is this with????

I have no idea of what your even referring to. I have never seen nor heard of Kristalblok.

Its an add pack that is now coming with Mosti Kits. Since I have not made a Mosti kit in a while I have not actually had any experience with it. It does sound like its added in the clarification stage to white wines.

It is listed in the instructions Phase 3 last thing that gets added at stabilization/clarification.

Does your wine kit contain a Wine Conditioner and/or Kristalblok®
bottle?
If your wine kit came with a conditioner and/or Kristalblok® bottle,
empty the contents of the wine conditioner to your wine and stir well
for 2-3 minutes.

Sorry, not even Google can bring anything up for it as to what the heck it even is. Id call George or even Mosti Mondiale themselves on this one.

I'm guessing by the name that it is something to inhibit the formation of potassium bitartrate crystals (wine diamonds). I would be curious to know what it is chemically.

If you'll refer to the link I showed above, you'll see that Kristalblok is used by MM to prevent the formation of wine diamonds in white wines. It was included in may last kit, with no instructions on its use. I went to the MM link where it showed updated instructionson how it's used. For whatever reason (probably cost), they didn't include the updated instruction in the kit.

Mike

From the new MM instructions:

Note: All wines will produce small crystals of tartar (wine diamonds) if
chilled. This phenomenon is entirely natural and is not a defect.
However, if you wish to prevent its appearance, discuss the matter with
your Distributor or contact Most Mondiale directly. If you are currently
making a white wine, Mosti Mondiale strongly recommends the use of
Kristalblok®, a completely natural crystal blocker. Ask your local
distributor about obtaining Kristalblok® for use on your white wine
batch.

"Wine Diamonds" what a nice name.

Sounds like something you would want.

" Yes Mam, would you like red or white Wine Diamonds with you dinner? "
smiley36.gif

Sounds like Mosti, like RJS (en Primeur) are using metatartaric acid to prevent the formation of diamonds. I'm guessing that's what KristalBlock is.

Most likely, sorry, looking over that PDF I missed that while scrolling somehow. If that is what it is you add it right when bottling if you are not going to cold stabilize it. I used the RJS product once and within 4 months in my cellar I was dropping wine diamonds anyway. If you dont want this in your bottles then by all means cold stabilize your wine in the carboy. This additive at least the one supplied with RJS kits stated it would prevent it for 1 year of aging.

I called the store and was told to add it right before bottling. I too had never heard of it before, John.

PeterZ said:
I'm guessing by the name that it is something to inhibit the formation of potassium bitartrate crystals (wine diamonds). I would be curious to know what it is chemically.

Peter, I have a Pinot Grigio kit that has a packet of Kristalblok. I could send you some if you want to do a "quant and qual" on it. I think it would be generally classified as a "wine conditioner" and is meant to stop wine diamonds from forming.

Rocky, I no longer have access to a lab to do an analysis. Maybe Mike (ibglowin) could handle it.

PeterZ said:
Rocky, I no longer have access to a lab to do an analysis. Maybe Mike (ibglowin) could handle it.

My mistake, Peter. For some reason I thought you were a chemist but I see you are an IT guy. I had you mixed up with Mike, I guess. It must have been your photo that confused me. You look like a chemist! (Incidentally, I still have nightmares about Quant and Qual and those three test tubes we got for the final exams!)

I am sure this is Metatartaric Acid which inhibits the formation of tartaric acid crystals or wine diamonds. Its only a temporary fix however as they seem to form anyway after 6mo to a year.

Seems to be making the rounds in some of the MM and RJS kits these days.

More info here on how it works.

I have the MM Pinot Grigio 10l variety which came with the packet of Kristalblok. It must be something new because the instructions does not mention it specifically. Rather, they refer to adding any "wine conditioner" that came in the kit.

Rocky said:
I have the MM Pinot Grigio 10l variety which came with the packet of Kristalblok. It must be something new because the instructions does not mention it specifically. Rather, they refer to adding any "wine conditioner" that came in the kit.

Rocky, Go to the MM website. They have the updated instructions there. It talks about Kristalblok. I have that same kit and I got the old instructions too. Actually, I have the link earlier in this thread. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back