kmeta question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StBlGT

Reaction score
I am about to start my wine kit for the first time (sauv blanc) and i have a question about the kmeta. I know you add some kmeta that the kit supplied, but my question is.....say i bulk age for an extra month or so past the date the manufacturer suggests is bottling time (just in case more sediment drops). Then, i add 1/4 tsp of kmeta and bottle that same day. How long do i have to wait to open a bottle without getting any odd tastes from the kmeta? Or am i better off not adding extra kmeta?

Thanks.

If you're only bulk aging an extra month then don't add any extra kmeta unless you have an SO meter. But if you do add extra I've seen it take 6 months before it start disapates.

I don't think you need to add any more k-meta if you're only going 2-6 weeks past the dose you added according to your kit. I, personally, would let it sit at least 3 months longer that the kit suggests, then add k-meta, bottle and wait another 3 months before drinking.

Thanks for the responses. I think since the sauv blanc will probably be gone by the end of summer/early fall that i wont add any more. But i am planning on making a merlot, too. This i will let age a little longer and will have to add some kmeta every 3 months in bulk.

Latest posts

Back