Wine too acidic after adding kmeta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericphotoart

Reaction score
I've bottled my 5 gallon cranberry wine and I added 1/4 tsp of kmeta at the bottling time. It was actually the first time I added kmeta to this wine. I thought the cranberry wine is already acidic and I didn't want to add more during racking times. I left 1 bottle of the wine for tasting and I noticed very distinctive kmeta taste. It's not cranberry acid but you can tell it is kmeta. I really liked the taste before. The wine was FG 1.006 without backsweetening and just exactly what I wanted. Now it looks like it is ruined. I just hope the acidity will go away with aging. Does the kmeta acidity neutralize over time ?

How long since bottling? You may have bottle shock. I expect the acidity will cool down. Nothing is ruined until it is consumed in some manner. You may have to tweak each bottle upon opening; I know that kills the desire to give away bottles. You can open and recork a wine; can't do that very well with beer. I've racked off bottles and rebottled to either tweak or if solids settled in the bottle, to make it more presentable.

On a numbers basis if fresh cranberry juice is about 3.00% TA and you have adjusted/ diluted to get below 0.70% TA, ,,, I seriously doubt that you are tasting 50 ppm meta, ,,, which has more of a sulfur/ burnt match taste.
@VinesnBines is probably correct about bottle shock/ oxygen exposure. Alcohol combines with oxygen producing acetaldehyde, which I describe as a burn in the back of the throat at high levels or a sharp flavor like apricot at low levels. Most folks will taste acetaldehyde when it reaches 100ppm.
Red grape has antioxidants which allow one to be sloppy on oxidation. Cranberry (everything else) doesn’t have natural antioxidants therefore we get caught if we introduce significant oxygen.
On my part my wine quality improved when I automatically added 50ppm meta every time I opened a carboy/ racked/ bottled. Meta is a preventative that covers normal exposure so we stay away from the 100ppm cumulative flavor threshold.

Latest posts

Back