Cellar Craft Kit wine taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrive22

Reaction score
I had a wine tasting of three different kit wine that I made at my cousins house a couple if weeks ago. We had a cab sauv that has been bottled for about 8 months, a Pinot noir in the bottle for about 6 and a Malbec that had only been in bottle for 1. The tasting was ok but we didn't finish all of the wine. So we put the corks back in the bottles. Fast forward to last weekend and my cousin and another couple try the wine that had been opened for a couple of weeks. They said it tasted even better than before.
Has anyone else experienced something like this?? I would have thought the wine would have oxidants and gone bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Interesting. I wonder if it may have been gassy the first time. Maybe a little air helped.

Yes roger. Some of them are a little gassy. So I guess that could be why

I had a somewhat similar effect on my mezza Luna red. It was considerably better if I left half a bottle for two days under a cork. Probably because I never really enjoyed the wine in the first place, but it did improve. Have to say it gave it a fuller darker fruit taste, but I would guess that was actually from oxidizing.

All of my kit wines taste much better on the second day (if a bottle survives to make it to day two) The dreaded KT aroma fades with some good air time.

I think it's little different from decanting a wine. Though when decanting you're only supposed to let the wine breathe a few hours before drinking, not two weeks. But I've left half a bottle of wine in my wine fridge with just a cork for several weeks, and I was sure it would be oxidized, but it wasn't.

But I've left half a bottle of wine in my wine fridge with just a cork for several weeks, and I was sure it would be oxidized, but it wasn't.

There must be something about refrigeration that slows that process. I've had the same experience.

Or maybe, by taking a room temp liquid and chilling it you're creating just enough of a vacuum to minimize the impact.

A refrigerator is better than a Vacuvin for storing open bottles of wine. Cold temps slow the oxidation process to a crawl.

Thanks for all the info. The cab and Pinot were the first kits I've ever made. I need to get better at degassing or let them bulk age from now on.

Back