Kit vs homemade

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the percentage of kit wines you make?

• Total voters
I have made 33 Wines to date with only 6 being kits

BOB

I make mostly kit wines, but I have also expanded into fresh & frozen grapes. The frozen grapes packages are somewhere between kits and fresh grapes in terms of what is supplied and what balancing/additions are needed. How would you classify that?

A lot of fruit wine with a bunch of kits and some from grapes also. Can you say Hodgepodge?

0% Finding and picking our own fruit is half the fun. We pick blackberries, cherries, apples, pears, plums, persimmons, peaches, raspberries, elderberries, mullberries and locust blossoms.

100% kit. No fresh grapes available in coastal Texas.

Nope, just oil.
smiley1.gif

Plus I only like grape wine. I made Skeeter Pee last year but wasn't nuts about it. I have tasted some country wines, raspberry, peach, blueberry, but itls just not me.

100% but planning on some fresh grapes in the fall :) If time and finances allow:)

smiley4.gif
Kits all the way. RJS most of the way. Winery series seems the way. way good.

Well... I've been involved in about 10 kits but am planning on a grape made one this spring.. Expecting the first batch to fail miserably. But hey.. Who knows :)

0% on either. Need to wait for harvest before I make grape wine. But was thinking of trying a kit out just to get one batch under my belt before the real deal. My wife thinks I am crazy raiding the recycle bin collecting wine bottles. And this is just the start, lol.

So far, just kits and juice buckets. Hope to do grapes next fall.

25% kit wines. Just something about getting the fruits, mashing them down, and making the wine. I'm always prouder to give wines away that I made from "scratch" than a kit wine. Almost seems like cheating with a kit wine lol

I've made 2 kits and have no idea how many batch I have made in total, so gues I am in the .01% area. Is just a guess

I made one high end kit and then moved to juice, fresh grapes, and fresh fruit. I'll make a kit if I can't get the fruit or want to try a new style.

I have made lots of wine from grapes but lately I am convinced that, for me, kits are the way to go. The following are some of my reasons:

* Kits have improved greatly and continue to improve.
* I have made better tasting wine from kits than I ever made from grapes.
* Many varieties are availiable that would not be to me from grapes.
* Kits are consistently balanced and "good" juice; grapes can vary dramatically.
* Kits offer a cleaner process.
* Kits are much less work.
* Kits require less equipment and space.
* Kits are available year round.
* For all the above benefits, kits are competitively priced compared to grapes.
* I HATE FRUIT FLIES!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back