Mosti Mondiale Kit Temp

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishWineP

Reaction score
Today Poor Bert and I are starting our Mosti Mondiale Amarone Mondiale. The juice is a beautiful thing! Rich, colorful, flavorful, wonderful smell. And also very cold.
smiley5.gif
We store our kits in the wine cellar until we're ready to start them. Oops! Should have brought it upstairs last night. The ray gun we use for taking temps said it was in the low 60s.
smiley18.gif
We did catch it before we tossed any yeast in, and now have a heating pad on the side of the primary. The directions suggest between 70-76 for pitching the yeast. The directions also say you can heat your juice. We're so used to adjusting the temp by using the water we add to the kits that it didn't enter our little minds to bring the kit up last night.
smiley9.gif
So here you go folks, learn from our mistakes!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: PolishWineP

And I worry that it is too hot herefor my wines, which it probably is
smiley6.gif
, can't control it in this climate. In mid summer the ac strains to keep it below 80 in here mid-day.

PWP, hope I can make one of the Mondiale kits soon!!

Sorry Wade, I typoed 50s not 60s.
smiley9.gif
I've since fixed it.And that was from sitting on the floor. Nice and cool down there on the floor. I even store the soda down there so it's not far from well-chilled when I want one and it's not taking up fridge space.
Ramona, just drink your wines and don't worry about the temp!
smiley36.gif

When i win the lotto I am going to put a cellar in I might not ever come out of it though.. Will move wine racks and carboys to it. Just might cede from the union opps thats been tried and didnt work to well.. But I do make it year round with brew belts. for temp control

We racked the Amarone Mondiale last night. With the warm weather it had dropped to 1.010 in just 72 hours! It's just beautiful! Rich, dark color... Is it ready to drink yet?
smiley4.gif

No but it wil
smiley6.gif
l be in about a year or so.
The notes on it say 9 months before it's ready to drink and peaks at 2 years.

PWP, do you age your carboys and bottles in the cellar at those temps,
ie 50s. I have the same situation and have had success with aging
commercial wines. Thought kits would be similar.

Also, it sounds like you are chosing to rack to secondary based solely
on SG. Is it that important? I have been letting mine go at least five
days and taking SG at whatever it is at five - it is always at or below
the kit target. Any taste consequences?

We always wait for the SG to be where it should be before we rack. Don't want a mess on our hands.
We keep the wines upstairs (ranch house) generally until we've racked them for a second time and then they go to the basement. The basement is usually in the low 60s. We age in the family room which has padded carpet. Much warmer than the concrete floor in the wine cellar. All bulk aging is done in the family room.

Started MM Cardillion Sunday. But am seeing a higher temp than
recommended, (We are having a bit of warm weather in International
Falls!). It is running 77-79. Should I cool this with ice on the
outside of the bucket?

Just a simple water bath or what is used for beer brewing is drape a tee shirt over the primary bucket and in a water bath and occassionally wet the shirt down. This should bring the temp down a few degrees without having to risk too much temp drop with ice or fluctuating temps when the ice melts.

Just don't let those guys from Carboys Gone Wild! near your place. The shame the wine will suffer once it matures...
smiley2.gif

I know I am one of them Jack....and we do tend to get kinda wild n krazy
carboy2.jpg

Edited by: Waldo

Waldo................

20070612_161429_Laughing_RoflSm.gif

Your Head is covering your bung hole..............
smiley36.gif

Edited by: jobe05

Geez...this is getting crazy.....Waldo has been awake for too many hours.....must need some sleep.

Latest posts

Back