WineXpert Kit Taste (smell)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quntumleap

Junior
Reaction score
I have a Limited Edition Cabernet/Tempranillo that I bought in 2007 (I think). I followed the directions exactly and aged in the carboy and then in the bottle. It is now over a year in the bottle and I still smell this sweet grapey smell when I open a bottle. It may not be kit taste but it is definitely an off smell. I have done some MM reds and I do not detect this particular smell even when the wines are young. Did I do something wrong or is this just how WE kits are?

Thanks

John

I think you are referring to what is commonly called Kit Taste or KT! This usually fades with time and is mainly found in W.E. kits. There is really nothing that canbe done except to give it more time. I only make RJS Grape skin kits and have never detected this smell or taste in these so i stick with them.

I have experienced this with a couple of my WE kits. An hour or 2 of decanting helps.

Decanting does help. I also made this kit but have not tasted it yet. Mine has been aging since Sept 07. I may open a bottle sometime this year just to see how its doing. WE kits are a little rough for me at first but give them time and they will improve.
VPC

vcasey said:
Decanting does help. I also made this kit but have not tasted it yet. Mine has been aging since Sept 07. I may open a bottle sometime this year just to see how its doing. WE kits are a little rough for me at first but give them time and they will improve.
VPC
Now that is discipline!!
smiley32.gif

Ours has finally hit the 2 year mark, and its fantastic. That off smell/flavor is gone and its really smooth and a bit robust. I think it will be even better this fall.

Latest posts

Back