WineXpert Kit Suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsJones

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone would be kind enough to offer me a red kit suggestion for a newbie.

My local shop only carries wineexpert products.

I've just bottled my first WE which was from the world vineyard series - an Australian Shiraz.

I enjoy Shiraz and I've also been on a Malbec kick for a while, but I am open I trying out new flavours.

Thanks!!

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone would be kind enough to offer me a red kit suggestion for a newbie.

I've just bottled my first WE which was from the world vineyard series - an Australian Shiraz.

I enjoy Shiraz and I've also been on a Malbec kick for a while, but I am open I trying out new flavours.

Thanks!!

If you have the time to let it age (12-18 months minimum) then try one of their Selection International with grape skins. If you'd like more of an early drinker stick with the world vineyard series.

Hi All,

Thanks!!

the WE Selection Pinot Noir turned out well, especially with some extra oak.
The Brunello turned out so well, I am making a second one.

I dont think you can go wrong with either.
I would lean towards the Brunello because of the Oakyness and Grape Skins!

There are some pretty nice wines at every price point. One of the first Winexperts that I made was the Lodi Cab in the Selection Estate Series now in the Eclipse line and the one that Tony is referring to. Very nice Black currant that is still holding well after 3 years. Also in the Eclipse line I made the Pinot Noir. Very nice classic California Pinot Noir characteristics. I just picked up the Stags Leap Merlot but have not made it yet. The eclipse line is going to need some aging as Brian said. Like Elmer stated the Brunello in the Selection international with skins line is fantastic as well as the Amarone in that line. I have a winemaking friend who likes to make Luna Rosa and that one is good too. In the world vineyard line the california trinity red is good. The world vineyard line with skins has me intrigued and I just picked up the Merlot. I don't know if it will be a quick drinker. I hope that helps some.

If you want to do skins kits, the selections others have given are all very good, IMO. If you want to make a kit without skins, I would suggest either the New Zealand Pinot Noir or the Luna Rossa, if you like a bigger, bolder red.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

MrsJones, I have always done one kit to age followed by an early drinker. I'm sure you may want to enjoy the fruit of your labor sooner than 12 to 18 mounts. A Winexpert Vintners Reserve Bergamais Wine kit is an early drinker and check out the Eclipse kits for one to age. :b

plain and simple. make two bottles for every bottle you drink so you can stock and age. Start with the cheaper ones while you build your stock. I have been pleased with the least expensive ones - Vintner Reserve Sauv Blanc (dry) and Mezza Luna White (slightly sweet and oaky) were great. VR Coastal Red was okay for table wine during past summer. These are very inexpensive and allow you to drink wine a few month into it while your more expensive kits age.

The whites don't need as long to age, so I would suggest the Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc - it's excellent!

Also the Gewurz is great, but I've only tried it once 3 months after bottling. Trying to let them sit as long as I can, even though they are very good after just 3 months.

For reds which will need more time, I've made the Eclipse Barolo (awesome) and the Eclipse Zin (also awesome). I made the Stag's Leap Merlot for my niece's wedding, but only tasted it when I bottled it - phenomenal! I'm going to be buying myself one of those kits...

The whites don't need as long to age, so I would suggest the Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc - it's excellent!

Also the Gewurz is great, but I've only tried it once 3 months after bottling. Trying to let them sit as long as I can, even though they are very good after just 3 months.

For reds which will need more time, I've made the Eclipse Barolo (awesome) and the Eclipse Zin (also awesome). I made the Stag's Leap Merlot for my niece's wedding, but only tasted it when I bottled it - phenomenal! I'm going to be buying myself one of those kits...

UJ, just a point of clarification . . . excellent is better than very good, awesome would be better than excellent and phenomenal would be better than awesome?

I think we need a sticky on superlatives.

uglyjohn,
Is that Gewurtz a dryer wine or one of the sweeter ones? Also, is it all Gewurtz or a mix of it and another grape?

UJ, just a point of clarification . . . excellent is better than very good, awesome would be better than excellent and phenomenal would be better than awesome?

I think we need a sticky on superlatives.

very good< excellent<Awesome<phenomenal< Super Duper< Perfect!!

:n

very good< excellent<Awesome<phenomenal< Super Duper< Perfect!!

:n

In my case:

excellent = great (except I've only had one bottle and it will get better with more time) = awesome = also awesome = phenomenal (except that I only got to taste it when bottling and I can't keep any of it because it's for my nieces wedding but maybe she'll decide he's a dork and cancel the wedding and I'll make a special trip to Virginia to take it all back and drink it myself bwaahahahaaa!!!)

I really really really like them all.

Does that help?

uglyjohn,
Is that Gewurtz a dryer wine or one of the sweeter ones? Also, is it all Gewurtz or a mix of it and another grape?

It's a straight Gewurtz, and it was much, much drier than I expected. After putting the F-pack in, I was worried it would be sickly sweet, but it came out just barely sweet. I am very happy with it.

Awesome, thanks. I just started drinking Gewurtz and really like it, but it has to be on the drier side.

Mrs. Jones,

My first WE red was at the recommendation of my LHBS, Trinity red: Blend of Cabernet Franc, Cab Sauv and Merlot. Although I haven't had a bottle yet, it has shown promise at each racking. Per my guy, this one can be drunk from the carboy, but will reward those with patience. And the cost won't be too bad so you feel guilty if it's all gone before you get to the first anniversary of the fermentation.

Enjoy!

Best, Fran

Mrs. Jones,

My first WE red was at the recommendation of my LHBS, Trinity red: Blend of Cabernet Franc, Cab Sauv and Merlot. Although I haven't had a bottle yet, it has shown promise at each racking. Per my guy, this one can be drunk from the carboy, but will reward those with patience. And the cost won't be too bad so you feel guilty if it's all gone before you get to the first anniversary of the fermentation.

Enjoy!

Best, Fran

Let a few bottles find their way beyond the 18 month mark, you'll be kindly rewarded...

Back