Kit shelf life question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keebler71

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all!

So I have a kit that has been sitting in my basement far too long... I bought it about six months ago and just never got around to starting it... so how long can a kit survive in storage? My basement is probably a consistent 68 deg or so. I'm concerned that if I start now I'll just be wasting my time... curious as to your thoughts... thanks!

oh,... and I don't know how long it was on the shelf before I bought it but the store I bought from does a huge amount of volume and I can't imagine it was in the store very long... it's a Winexpert Selection Estate Sonoma Pinot Noir

Scott

keebler71, there should be a code on the box that will tell you when it was produced. See if you can find that first. As far as kits and shelf life are concerned, they probably last longer than one would think. I would take it in steps, even if it were old. Open the juice bag and take a whiff. If it smells okay, make the wine. You will only be investing a little bit of time. I would use a fresh yeast packet in any case.

Last edited:
If you tell us the maker and the date code we can probably be able to tell you when your kit was made.

Can't say about the viability of your specific kit, but I will add that that kit is an extremely good one. I have only made about 14 batches (mostly Winespert) but my friends have been extremely complimentary of the WE SE Pinot Noir. I recently ordered a second one and will begin it soon.

As mentioned, check the code and once you have determined when it was made we can give you an opinion about whether it may be too old or not.

I will go out on a limb here and say it is probably still good and others on this board will be likely to gladly take it off your hands for you!

NS

They are good for at least a year and if it has been stored in a cool environment I would bet you it would be good for at least 18mo and maybe a little more.

Hi Scott,

I'm not far from you - just outside Manassas in Bristow. Where do you buy your kits? I've been going to Jay's Brewing in Manassas. They have a decent stock of supplies; but cater to beer brewers, and their kit selection is limited. Great little shop though. Thanks.

Jim

Thanks all... so the kit number is 0425711 which I read as Sept 14, 2011 so just barely a year old. From the above I'm guessing it is probably good to go... it has been sitting still in my basement for about six months probably between 65 and 70 degrees.

Jim - yes - I've been to Jay's Brewing and have bought some hardware there but last I checked they didn't carry any juice or kits. Thanks!

Scott

Jim - yes - I've been to Jay's Brewing and have bought some hardware there but last I checked they didn't carry any juice or kits. Thanks!

Scott

He carries a few kits now, but honestly, I can't remember the brand. You have another source locally? I'd love to be able to find some kits nearby.

Jim, I've bought a couple kits and lots of supplies from 'my local home brew shop' in Falls Church (http://www.mylhbs.com/). Also, a place in Baltimore sells grapes and juice this time of year imported from CA (http://www.sandswinegrapes.com/swg/), haven't tried them yet though!

Thanks. I'm familiar with MLHBS, but haven't made the trek down there yet. And I had no idea there was a juice source up the road in B'more.

I had the wine expert selection estate pinot noir kit that sat in my apartment for four months after I bought it. My AC went out during the middle of the summer and my place got into the 90s. Went ahead and made the kit since I spent so much money on it. Kit is aging right now but so far everything tastes really good.

Hey guys , I read about you buying wine kits, how much do they cost down there ? Up here in Alberta Can. I see the wine shops asking around $80.00 but the only large grocery store selling them only charges $40.00 I just bought a kit on sale for $28.95 at the superstore grocery.. it's called prestige and the wine it produces is called Cabernet Sauvignon . makes 6 gallons U.S. Funny thing, one side of the box says red wine , the other says white wine, maybe when I read the directions it will tell me how to make either one.

Latest posts

Back