Kit recommendation and aging question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brushwood24

Reaction score
I just bottled my first kit, a village vintner cabernet sauvignon and started in on the next kit, a Grand Cru cabernet franc. I sampled the cabernet as I bottled it and it was (just barely) drinkable. The kit says to age it 3 months to a year. I plan to open the first bottle starting in July and have a bottle each month after that to see how it ages. Should I expect it to be pretty mediocre after aging only three months? I'm guessing so but I really don't know what to expect from it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a red wine that tends to mature quickly? I was thinking about trying a Sangiovese or Shiraz next but the kits I was looking at say to age a minimum of 9 months. I know there's no substitute for patience but I'd like to have something I can start drinking while I'm waiting.

Most of us are drinking commercial wine while we are waiting.

It builds up your empty bottle collection and keeps temptation at bay. If you want an early drinking wine I would suggest making a white. An early drinking red wine is basically a Unicorn, they just don't exist........

brushwood24 said:
I'd like to have something I can start drinking while I'm waiting.

I am quite happy with the MM Vinifera Noble--Sangiovese Kit

It is a 5 week kit and I just racked it for the second time.....It is tasting pretty good considering its 4 weeks old,

These VN kits get high praise.....for early drink ability and quality

PAwinedude said:
I am quite happy with the MM Vinifera Noble--Sangiovese Kit

It is a 5 week kit and I just racked it for the second time.....It is tasting pretty good considering its 4 weeks old,

These VN kits get high praise.....for early drink ability and quality

Thanks. I think I'll give one of those a try.

Latest posts

Back