RJ Spagnols KIT CHARD.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERASMO

Reaction score
I am looking for a suggestion for a chard. kit.

Any recomendations? Could be any brand.

Thanks

RJS EP Golden Heights Australian Chardonnay. Amazing Chardonnay. Can use a little more oak. I chose french oak, heavy toast, about 2oz while bulk aging for 3 months. Make sure you cold stabilize this one, as it sheds a heavy amount of wine diamonds.

I am getting ready to start the Unwooded Estate Series Chard from W.E. I have never tasted the wine but I am told its a great kit.

ERASMO said:
Thanks for the response.

Could you elaborate on the process?

Thanks

Make the wine as per the instructions. When it comes time to bottle the wine, instead of bottling on day 56, you would add 2 ounces of your favorite oak, or an oak profile you would like the wine. I chose a heavy toast french oak as I wanted a little more of the vanillin flavours that heavy toasted oak can add. Since I only had oak chips (Not sawdust! Rather coarse chips) I knew I'd get quick extraction, so I only let it have that oak for 3 months. It probably didn't need more than 2 months, but I let it sit an extra one.

After that, I racked again to get rid of the oak chips in the carboy, and placed it on my back patio, with vodka in the airlock now due to freezing, and kept the wine covered, yet outside for 3 weeks at temps of 32F or lower. This caused the wine to drop bitartrate crystals, aka wine diamonds. High quality juices always drop these crystals. It takes about 3 weeks at 32F or 4 weeks at 40F.

After the cold period, rack again to get it off the crystals and bottle. Wait 6 weeks, or more, to make sure bottle shock is gone, and enjoy.

EP kits, in whites, should not be consumed before 9 months from the time you pitch the yeast. This method should take you close to that target. Even after 3 years, this white wine shows no sign of having hit it's peak.

Dean, thanks for the explanation and instructions. Very helpful.
smiley1.gif

Back