Ever added blueberry reduction to chardonnay?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugger46

Junior
Reaction score
I have Fontana Chard in a bucket and am considering adding a blueberry reduction to it 3 days after adding Yeast. Any concerns?

I answered this same thing over in the other thread. Blueberry isn't a taste I normally expect from Chardonnay. Not saying you shouldn't do it or it wouldn't be wonderful, but I think more of grapefruit, lemons, apples.
I'm curious as to what common beginner type wine kit/varietal grape that blueberry would be a good addition to. I always pick up a beautiful nugget from your responses. My only experience with blueberry is the Island mist kit. I think that was a pinot noir. I did bump the sugar and lower the water pre fermentation and its good for the price. I have read Joe's thread but wow....lots of great info to digest.

Blueberries make me think of Pinot Noir.

Probably the better question is where do I come up with these ideas? Google knows all, type Cabernet Sauvignon tastes, read the description (black cherry, blackberries, tobacco, etc.) Then I go to the local liquor store and buy a few different bottles after talking with the knowledge sales folk.

But remember, there are exceptions, would a Pinot with blackberry notes taste good, probably. A Merlot with Blueberries, possibly. The sky is the limit. Mix and match, we are home winemakers, make what you like.

Fontana Chard . . . adding a blueberry . . . Any concerns?
We eat with our eyes >> then we eat with our nose >> finally we eat with our mouth.
The blue pigments would change what one thinks it is, ,,, a taste panel will taste what they are looking for. , ,,,, what impression/ flavor do you want?

I am a fan of polyphenols and will add 1 to 3% of black raspberry to rhurbarb because I like the color, ,,, or 3 to 5% of crab apple into a white grape because I want to build in longer flavor notes, (tannins) ,,,, The lab bench method is to have a test system to see how the flavors blend. It is awfully expensive to wait ten or twelve months to find out if you like the percentages in a blend.

I'm curious as to what common beginner type wine kit/varietal grape that blueberry would be a good addition to.
As Craig suggested, Pinot Noir -- I made a Blueberry / Pinot Noir kit over a decade ago, and it came out good. But pretty much any red will probably work.

I have Fontana Chard in a bucket and am considering adding a blueberry reduction to it 3 days after adding Yeast. Any concerns?
My only concern is that the Blueberry will overpower the Chardonnay, not complement it. That's why I suggested bench testing in your other thread. However, you're asking about adding during fermentation, so bench testing is out.

This changes the situation to "all in" -- once you've added the reduction, it's not coming out. Do that only if you're positive you'll like the result. Otherwise, wait for post-fermentation taste testing.

We eat with our eyes >> then we eat with our nose >> finally we eat with our mouth.
The blue pigments would change what one thinks it is, ,,, a taste panel will taste what they are looking for. , ,,,, what impression/ flavor do you want?

I am a fan of polyphenols and will add 1 to 3% of black raspberry to rhurbarb because I like the color, ,,, or 3 to 5% of crab apple into a white grape because I want to build in longer flavor notes, (tannins) ,,,, The lab bench method is to have a test system to see how the flavors blend. It is awfully expensive to wait ten or twelve months to find out if you like the percentages in a blend.
Thanks for your in depth response.
I don't really care about the color. Just looking to not throw away some blueberries and add a little flavor to chardonnay. This batch is for personal consumption.

What do you have to lose? I hate to waste a good fruit. As pops used to say nothing ventured nothing gained. Seriously no big deal and please take us along for the ride

Latest posts

Back