Kettle Pizza!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Pizza Spinners should be here by the end of the week I think!

2Q==
spinners.jpg

2Q==

Mike:

When using this, are you spreading the coals around the perimeter of the kettle, or spreading evenly under the stone?

I followed the instructional video which has you start your charcoal in a normal mound and then once it is white hot you move the mound to the back of the kettle and basically form a semi-circle around the rear of the grill. You then add your hardwood chunks on top of the charcoal and wait for the oven to kick up to ~700-800 degrees and your ready. The stone goes in once you move your charcoal to the back so it can start to come to temp. No real fire directly underneath the stone and you must rotate the pizza halfway through as it cooks faster towards the rear. This is where the pizza spinners come in handy!

Fired up the Kettle Pizza oven last night. Since it was a Friday that I had to work I decided to try out a frozen "starter" crust from Schwan's

63092LG.jpg

The crust worked perfectly! So much easier than making your own but not as good of course!

I got the oven fired up to like 800 degrees with 6-8 nice chunks of Mesquite. I picked up some semolina flour and that seemed to work much better than corn meal. This time I loaded up the pies big time. One with pepperoni, italian sausage, marinated artichokes, greek olives and of course some Chev cheese on top. The other was a New Mexico version of a Hawaiian pizza. Canadian bacon, pineapple and of course some nice HOT green chile.

With the oven cranked up and my new pizza spinners in hand I cooked the first one and had to turn it at 2 minutes. The new pizza spinners made this a breeze! The first pizza was done in only 4 minutes total. The second one cooked much differently. It was in 2.5 mins before turning and 5 mins total as the oven had dropped down a notch below 800 but the crust cooked totally different. The first one got a little over done on top but the bottom of the crust was perfect. The second one was not anywhere near as done on top but the crust was almost burnt on bottom.

The only thing I can think of was the stone was still coming up to max temp on the first and then was at max temp on the second. Still learning the ins and outs obviously. This was only the second time using it but getting the hang of it more and more I think!

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

Pizza Kettle - $150
22" Weber grill - $100
Pizza stone - $50
Pizza peel (paddle) - $25
Charcoal starter - $15

Total: $340

Unless you're really going to use it and have the room for it, I'm not sure this idea will take off. It's a great concept though. According to many people the "best" pizza in the area is a place called Pizzeria Lola which uses a larger version of a stone based, wood fired pizza oven. You barely get to sip your beer and your pizza is on the table piping hot :) I've seen lines at that place an hour long or more. The little char they get around the edges makes a big difference. Their homemade sausages and other toppings is what puts them over the top.

I already had the Weber which was purchased about 5 years ago. I don't see us not eating pizza every couple of weeks and this is a much better product than one coming out of a regular oven with the nice wood smoke on it and crispy crust. Its a niche product at the moment but so was Home Brew of beer and wine just a few years ago.

Last edited:
I'm with you Mike. Sometimes we just do things "because we can". I think when you git 'er figured out it'll be a cool thing to do with friends making it worth every penny. I buy plenty of things I can justify in my head that my wife never would, at least in the beginning.

I totally forgot to pick the pizza up with the peel and hold it up in the top part of the grill for like 30 seconds. This will melt brown your toppings in no time. Especially handy if your crust is done but toppings are not.

Darn you Mike, just made me go get this:
51p9QkwaKyL._SL1500_.jpg

think it will fit over my charbroil grill. Did not want to spend the $$$ on that and a new webber.

Post up some pics of that bad boy in action, Doug. I will probably be looking for a Kettle Pizza under the Christmas tree this year, but am still looking at options. Unfortunately, the wife isn't too interested in building me a brick oven. :D

Dang, there was a Groupon just yesterday for a Kettle Pizza. Meant to post it up but forgot. Like them on FB if you are on and next time it comes up you will see it in your news feed.

The camp chef is designed to go on a two burner gas camping stove, but the dimentions are close to my Char broil charcoal grill I think it will work.

Back