Keeping Wildlife out of your fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A not so good picture but you can see the electric fence we have around the vines.
298372_148569685241259_100002646849326_219107_261896781_n.jpg

UBB you might need to add a couple feet to that to exclude the deer. An alternative would be to come out a few feet from that fence with a single strand about 3 feet high. When they jump the first, the second is too close. They soon learn that and quit trying.

In three years not one deer track has been seen inside the fence so it must be doing the trick. It's an electrified 5 wire fence that's almost 6 feet tall. I have noticed raccoon and or skunk tracks though. Various live traps have captured some tresspassers.

Height deer jump is a function of available feed. If there is plenty, they probably won't attempt it, but that doesn't mean they can't do it. Deer can easily jump 6 feet and sometimes 8 feet. I was just bringing this up because the poster wants to be able to exclude animals. If it is working for you, great! That is a great looking vineyard you have.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. The two acres I have are flat land and 1/2 of it is wooded. Outside of the land perimeter is also wooded. There is also a possibility that in the future I could obtain more connecting land. That said I definitely have some planning and thinking do.

Back