K-Meta vs Campden Tablets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dordelli

Junior
Reaction score
My understanding was that these two were same thing except the Campden tablets were just in tablet form, so when I dosed my wines, I crushed the Campden tablets and measured out the dose rate as if using K-Meta, is that incorrect? I just read another post that said when using Campden tabs, it’s 1 per gallon but one tab is approx 1/8tsp. I guess I have been under-dosing?

I think it is probable that you have been underdosing. Campden tablets contain k-meta, but I am confident that there are other, inactive ingredients (binders, etc.). Yes, Campden tablets are supposed to be used at a rate of 1 tablet per gallon (regardless of whether they are crushed or not).

If I am doing the math correctly and using BigDaveK's numbers, 6 campden (enough for 6 gallons of wine) tablets would weigh 3.3 gr, and 1/4 teaspoon of K-meta (the dosage for 6 gallons of wine) would weigh 1.6 gr, indicating that the tablets are about 1/2 binder. Seems to compute.

Campden tablets including a binding agent, so I they contain only 0.44 g Kmeta. For small amounts, measuring by weight is much more accurate.

Never used the tablets. I’m guessing they are more expensive and there is the additional step of crushing the tablet. Kmeta powder is a no brainer for me.

There's both. Just need to read the label.

View attachment 111403
you are right - you can get sodium or potassium

from wikipedia:

Campden tablets typically contain 0.44 g each of sodium metabisulfite (plus filler) and 8 of these are equivalent to one half level teaspoon (2.5 mL) of sodium metabisulfite. Other Campden tablet formulations use potassium metabisulfite. See more

Never used the tablets. I’m guessing they are more expensive and there is the additional step of crushing the tablet. Kmeta powder is a no brainer for me.
Generally, I agree. Campden can be a PITA, especially if the outer coating doesn't break up finely.

However, for folks making small batches, e.g., 4 liters, it makes sense to do so. Also, folks have reported that in some areas they can get Campden, but can't get powdered K-meta.

you are right - you can get sodium or potassium
When I started winemaking, Campden was Na-meta. It was only a few years ago that someone clued me in that Campden is made with K-meta as well.

Generally, I agree. Campden can be a PITA, especially if the outer coating doesn't break up finely.

However, for folks making small batches, e.g., 4 liters, it makes sense to do so. Also, folks have reported that in some areas they can get Campden, but can't get powdered K-meta.

When I started winemaking, Campden was Na-meta. It was only a few years ago that someone clued me in that Campden is made with K-meta as well.
WM81 See one can be an old dog and learn new things!

Latest posts

Back