K-Meta Sanatizing Solution???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't use an airlock on your jug of sanitizer. You don't want the SO2 gas to escape. Just cap it.

Here's a tip, the SO2 will rust out the metal cap on the gallons jugs. I was wiping rust off the threads a couple times. Now I place a small sandwich bag flat over the top of the jug and screw the top over it. No more corrosion and the cap stays tight with two layers of plastic underneath it.

Good tip O Grav as I just started using a glass jug the other day because my plastic jugs eventually start leaking.

I see that nobody mentions the addition of an equal amount of citric acid to their K, or Na, Meta sterilizing solutions. I recall reading somewhere that the addition of citric acid increases the potency of the sterilizing solution. Is this not the case?
smiley5.gif

I think it increases the potency by increasing the offgas of the SO2. I can say for a fact that happens. Couple months ago I mixed my crushed campden tablet with my acid addition and was just about knocked from all the SO2 escaping when mixed in a little water. I'll do those additions separately from now on. I think for a short time it would increase the effectiveness, not sure how long the solution would last afterwards. I have read somewhere that this is why SO2 isn't recommended for beer; the acid in beer isn't high enough for it to become effective.

Otto said:
I see that nobody mentions the addition of an equal amount of citric acid to their K, or Na, Meta sterilizing solutions. I recall reading somewhere that the addition of citric acid increases the potency of the sterilizing solution. Is this not the case?
smiley5.gif

Yes it is the case Otto and you can see it clearing by looking at the chart below and notice how the molecular SO<SUB>2</SUB>increases as the pH is lowered. Molecular SO<SUB>2</SUB> is the most important form of SO<SUB>2</SUB> in wines and what protects our wines from oxidationand also the development of microorganisms on our equipment after we sanitize.

Technical speaking: Sulphur dioxide is a bifunctional acid, and dissociates into three fractions. The quantity of each of these fractions depends on the thermodynamic constants and the pH. The dissociation is almost instantaneous. The three fractions are molecular SO<SUB>2</SUB> (SO<SUB>2</SUB>), sulphite (SO<SUB>3</SUB><SUP>2-</SUP>), and bisulphite (HSO<SUB>3</SUB><SUP>-</SUP>). Dissociation of the various fractions is almost immediate.

The amount of each free SO<SUB>2</SUB> that is in each fraction (bisulphite, sulphite, and molecular) is determined by the pH. Figure 1 shows the distribution of the different species for various pH values.

<CENTER>
20070411_140251_SO2distr_Medium.gif
</CENTER>Edited by: masta

I might add here that CO2 behaves almost exactly the same way, except that the curves are shifted to the right a little. Just substitute C for S in the above equation. Wines of lower acidity might be harder to degass because they have a higher proportion of HCO3-, which, when you remove the CO2, will then convert to CO2, regassifying the wine.

Latest posts

Back