K meta, Pectic enzyme, then yeast?? and others...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainl

Reaction score
I have 39 lbs of frozen mustang grapes. I have been reading different things on when to add k meta and PE. I just want to get it straight. Add PE 12 hours after kmeta??

1. Thaw grapes (In ziplock bags) over night at room temp.

2. morning - Add about 1/4 tsp k meta or 5 campden tab

WAIT HOW LONG??? 12 hours

3. Add Pectic Enzyme

WAIT HOW LONG??? 12 hours

4. Add yeast

Also for you muscadine/mustang grape experts, is 39 lbs enough for a 5 gallon batch? I was thinking about adding 6 lbs of bluberries that I have in the freezer too. A 5 gallon batch would fit nicely in my 5 gallon Carboy. Otherwise i'll have to buy a 3 and 1 gallon.

Approximately how much volume should I expect to lose when I remove the grapes? 1 gallon, or closer to 2? Should I target filling it to 6 gallons for a 5 gallon batch. I'll be using water to adjust the acid if necessary.

Does the work of PE affect the acid levels. Should I check and adjust the acid level just prior to adding the yeast or is it ok when i initially mix it up.

I realize most of these questions are just technique things that I can deal with. Thanks.

Mike.

Last edited:
Well, since no one else has said anything, I suppose I will throw my two cents in. First, I here by admit knowing nothing about any mustang grapes, that being said a typical wine grape typically requires 16-18 lbs to yield a gallon of juice (this may not be the case for a mustang grape, I'm not certain). I typically aim for more juice than final wine for a number of reasons, 1) liquid displacement of pulp, 2) the formation of lees. How much should you aim for? I don't know about mustang grapes to say, but 6 gallons to five sounds like a good starting point.
Next, I would add the pectin enzyme when you add all of the other additives like yeast energizer, acid blend, yeast nutrients, etc. etc. Pectin enzyme will help clarify the wine later, but will also help break down the fruit while it's fermenting, this is good because it will help improve your juice yeild once you press the grapes. I doubt that the pectin enzyme will have a huge effect on the acidity, but if you add the acid blend, that will definately change things up. I personally do not worry too much about acid, unless I feel I need to address it for some reason (I doubt it with grapes). You can allow the additives to sit and mix/blend for 24 hours or so if you'd like. The campden tablets I add to secondary. The k meta generally inhibits fermentation, and as you are trying to get juice to ferment I typically will give it every advantage, then when it is getting ready to go under airlock I add the k meta to sanitize and preserve the wine.

Pitch K-meta, wait 12 hours
Pitch pectic enzyme, wait another 12 hours
Pitch yeast

The k-meta is only used to stun any wild yeasts or bacteria pre-fermentation and is usually best in conjunction with a nicely prepared yeast starter.

Pectic enzyme doesnt work as well in the presence of decent levels of sulfites and doesnt work at all in the presence of fermentation. Like Zwetschgen pointed out, pectic enzyme helps rid a wine of a pectic haze post-fermentation & helps break down the fruit and release more juice/acids/tannins/etc from the fruit. Pectic may help release more acids, but i dont think its to a degree worth worrying about.

I havent done a grape wine myself, but have heard it takes a higher average lbs/gal than most fruits - i believe its part to do with the fact that most grapes dont need any water additions unless the growing season was funky (high acids, low sugars). Sounds like you have a couple gallons of wine on your hands

Pitch K-meta, wait 12 hours
Pitch pectic enzyme, wait another 12 hours
Pitch yeast
The k-meta is only used to stun any wild yeasts or bacteria pre-fermentation and is usually best in conjunction with a nicely prepared yeast starter.

Pectic enzyme doesnt work as well in the presence of decent levels of sulfites and doesnt work at all in the presence of fermentation. Like Zwetschgen pointed out, pectic enzyme helps rid a wine of a pectic haze post-fermentation & helps break down the fruit and release more juice/acids/tannins/etc from the fruit. Pectic may help release more acids, but i dont think its to a degree worth worrying about.

I havent done a grape wine myself, but have heard it takes a higher average lbs/gal than most fruits - i believe its part to do with the fact that most grapes dont need any water additions unless the growing season was funky (high acids, low sugars). Sounds like you have a couple gallons of wine on your hands

Agree, but you could streach PE to 24 hrs. I wont hurt if you double the PE depending on the fruit.

Latest posts

Back