K-meta added at fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

termini

Reaction score
When I was fighting to get my top on the primary fermentor and then had to take it back off, the K-meta that I had in the airlock got sucked into the fermentor and ,of coarse ,into the must. It did this twice on me--and I garantee---will NOT happen again!
But will this affect, or hurt the yeast kicking off, or stop it even before it gets started?
I will monitor it when I get home from work to see if it is bubbling away and if it is, I guess that I shouldn't worry about it.

termini there is no need to use k-meta in the airlock before fermentation begins. If you feel you need the airlock at all at this stage, just use water in it. If you used k-meta as cleaning strength, it could prevent fermentation-especially uner airlock. I would take the airlock off, remove the cover and vigorously stir the must. Replace the lid loosely and place a towel over the lid. You may need to repeat this a few times to displace the k-meta. It should begin in a day or two.

I agree with Appleman as you dont need to put on an airlock although I do as I just dont want any creepy crawlies in my wine. As far as the meta from the airlock I would do as appleman says just in case but i dont think that little bit would hinder it.

O.K. when I got home, I removed the covers, agitated the must, ( which was fizzing very nicely) and covered again with only water in the airlocks.
The only reason I originally set it up this way is because that is how it is required to do it when starting a kit wine, but I do understand that it was done with the cloth with no adverse results for years before all this modern stuff came around.... like plastics.... just kidding. Looks good so far, fizzing away...

Kits do not require an airlock on the primary. I would dare say it is about 50/50 folks using them or not. Yeasts need a lot of oxygen to get multiplying good and the airlock slows down any oxygen exchange. I opt to not use an airlock except in extreme cases.

Actually winekit co's. just want you have no problems at all for a beginner but the truth is that the first few days of fermentation really need lots of air and that is 1 of 2 reasons that we use a bigger bucket to start fermentation in. The other reason is to have room when we have a really robust ferm. and it foams up like crazy. If it is fermenting then you are fine and dont have to worry about meta solution doing anything to your wine as its almost unheard of for k-meta to stop a fermentation in progress unless you dump a big bag in there. Please dont do that!
smiley36.gif

I have never used airlock for primary - a friend doesnt even put lid on bucket during primary - places a towel over bucket with something to anchor each side of the towel to the floor (like a phone book or weight)- this lets air in and out but keeps out debris. I personally do not trust myself not to lose the towel in the full bucket so i just set the lid on top - usually not evenly on top so there is some open area - like I do with lid on a pot when boiling water

I to just set the lid on top without snapping it down. I do have an airlock in the lid to basically fill the hole. I always add cheap vodka to the airlock. I used to use Na Meta though like the original poster and had the exact thing happen numerous times, Never had an issue with fermentations.

Latest posts

Back