just tried our cab/merlot & valpol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lieu

Reaction score
Well we just racked these two off the sediment in the bottom of the carboys and had to have a try. It was ok. The valpol was definatly dry. They both seemed to have a "thin" mouth feel for a lack of a better word. I really didnt know what to expect and I am not an expert by any means.
Is this what you would expect from these kits? They were RJS VdV Valpoicella & RJS VdV Chilean Cab/Merlot
If we want to drink this in July should we wait a week or so then bottle or ???? I know I just asked about bottle shock in another post but is it different for reds as opposed to whites?

Personally, if I wanted to drink this in July (which I think is way too soon), I would give it at least another month before I would bottle it. IMO

For these very small kits IMO thats a yes, I highly recommend stepping up quite a bit especially for what is needed for a big red wine.

Hey Guys,
Wade, I don't really know what you mean by these "very small kits". Both these are 6 gallon kits which I thought most were
smiley5.gif
By stepping up do you mean in the cost of the kit? I think I am going to try a "big red kit" for my next one.
Hey Flem,
What do you think about bottling 1/2 and bulk storing 1/2? I do have 1- 3 gal. carboy that I could bulk store one of them for a while.

You are correct. Most kits are designed to make 6 gallons of wine. However, these Vino Del Vida kits are 9 liters of juice compared to a 16 or 18 liter (of juice) kit. That "thin" feel is is probably a combination of the fact that it is a small (9 liter) kit and it is a very young wine. The thinness will probably not go away but, with time, the taste will get better. Waiting to bottle will give it a little more time to drop remaining sediment. I'll always recommend buying the more expensive kits because I believe, with kit wines, you get what you pay for.

Bruce,

I agree with everything that Flem and Wade say here.

If the "thinness" in the mouth is a concern, you could experiment with a bottle or two by adding some Glycerin USP (available at most pharmacies in 6 oz bottles). The recommended dosage for wine is 1-2 oz per gallon, so be careful and start with a very small amount. A 750 ml bottle is about 1/5 gallon, so you would add between 6and 12 cc per 750 ml. For reference, a teaspoon is 5 cc.

Back