Just to be very clear... Synthetic corks and storage...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dazz are you talking about your white wine the riesling ? if so I don't think kit white are made to last that long but i could be wrong I haven't done any Kenridge kits yet . I don't know about the size of synthetic corks matter as much as real cork but I'm sure someone will help us out .

I think that the wines will last pretty darn far beyond what kit manufacturers state and I have a few wines that are pushing 5-6(not many left) but they are as good or better then after 1 year IMO. I even have a mist kit that wasnt bumped up that is 4 years old and tastes great still. I use perfect agglomerate corks (#9 x 1.75) You might find some corks that are a little longer and those will be better but not easy to come by, they are winery grade. It is possible you can have problems with synthetic corks with the Port. corker, some people have said that the jaws on the port dont have enough strength to fully compress some synth. corks so the corker iris will spread a very small amount cause the corker to have a slight crease in it preventing a goo seal.

Dazz are you talking about your white wine the riesling ? if so I don't think kit white are made to last that long but i could be wrong I haven't done any Kenridge kits yet . I don't know about the size of synthetic corks matter as much as real cork but I'm sure someone will help us out .

No Darlene;
I am about to cork @12 bottles of the Reisling. Then I am thinking of a heavier red, that I haven't picked out yet.
A Cabernet-Sauvinon from WE cought my eye, from their Selection series.
But I am still looking.
The only reason that I am considering this ageing is that as a newcomer to wine I am not sure how much I will be consuming. So if I can put say half down for consumption say in a year and the other half for a longer period I will be ahead. Not to mention if the wine is improved by this.
And that was my next question.....Are there some wines that are better suited to an extra ageing process?
Dazz

Last edited:
whites wines in general are not suited to aging for long periods of time. there are a few exceptions like sauternes but for the most part, whites are ready after suitable resting to get over bottle shock.

highly structured red wines & tannic reds can often handle age of 5-10 years without issue... some can go far longer but again, this is a minority and probably not the sort that we'd be making from concentrates... for the home winemaker, you should not feel you need to deny your enjoyment of the wine for decades... it is unnecessary and may actually result in a lesser quality wine when you do get to drinking it...

long term wines

I totally agree with the timing statement espesialy with home made with............................:slp

Back