Just need some moral support! ;(

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbie2

Reaction score
I only started making wine in February but my husband and I have been enjoying the fruits of my labour several times a week. I've made about 12 different ones, a few kits but mostly country wines, we think of it as about a 95% rate as we like them all but the watermelon. Obviously I am still learning all the time but they taste good to me, and they are all crystal clear.

Took a bunch of bottles to a family gathering this weekend and I couldn't believe the rude comments and snobbery, I am now totally mortified. Lots of snide comments under breath and talk about too dry and needs a long finish. HUH? It's homemade wine and I like dry wine! Whatever happened to white lies. Did they have to be so brutal!!!! :tz

Anyone else had this? Feel so deflated now. I've got 3 wines fermenting in the kitchen and I've lost all my mojo!

Just look at it as jealous people not knowing what they really don't know. also this leaves more for you to drink. I would find a local wine club and bring your wine to them to judge. they will be honest without injurious remarks, and most helpful in making a better wine if needed. Keep making wine that you enjoy.

I equate people's opinion on wine like people's opinion on food or art. There are certain styles of art that not everyone would appreciate. That's fine, it's not your cup of tea, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I think if it turned out the way you wanted and the general consensus is that it is good, I would ignore those with poor manners.

Look on the bright side, you now do not have to share your wine with any of those people! Don't let people like that get to you, they made it very obvious they do not know anything about wines. If it is to your liking, that is all that counts.

Well, their is a difference between criticism and snobery, and some do not know how to deliver or receive either or. I have found that if I want good critique of my wine, that you send it to either an experienced home winemaker, or sometimes better yet, a very well run competition.

That being said, as winemakers we all need to be constantly growing and developing our skills.. So keep reading, and work hard!

You're doing fine, and I agree with most of the comments above! Not everything appeals to everyone, and if you like what you've made, enjoy it!

I've also found that 'wine connoisseurs' (as they like to think of themselves) tend to be somewhat closed-minded when it comes to country winemaking. Of course it doesn't taste like a grape wine - it isn't one!

Also, as Seth said, keep working and improving your skills. Toss a couple of those really great (and that watermelon too) into a box in a forgotten corner of the basement and check them out again in another year. See if they have changed, and how. It's a great learning experience.

Onwards and upwards!

My grown son is my biggest critic. I just try to take the criticism for what it is, either they are trying to help or they are just being mean. Just keep making what YOU like. You didn't ask but you do appear to be serving very young wine if you just started in February. When I got into this I didn't even bottle my first batch until it was a year old, I sort of believe in aging in the carboy.

Yeah, people, especially family, do that sometimes. I don't know if it is outright jealousy or an underlying competitiveness, but feelings get hurt when presenting something creative. I've been there, it hurts. As someone mentioned, you now know with whom to not share you creations.

awww thanks everyone, people that understand me and my wine. I appreciate your comments it makes me feel so much better.

Sure i'm letting some age, but theres no fun if you don't get to drink it.

Thanks again, I think I need to go and drink a bottle now to drown my sorrows!

x

sorry but you just are not very well prepared.
Next time before a family gathering be ready for such comments
For example

Brother: I think your wine is too sweet
you: Just like your wife. I noticed she is AWFUL sweet on your best friend TED

Sister: I think your wine needs a long finish
You: I think you need a good long F*** so you aren't so bitchy

I guarantee the comments about your wine will stop.

sorry but you just are not very well prepared.
Next time before a family gathering be ready for such comments
For example

Brother: I think your wine is too sweet
you: Just like your wife. I noticed she is AWFUL sweet on your best friend TED

Sister: I think your wine needs a long finish
You: I think you need a good long F*** so you aren't so bitchy

I guarantee the comments about your wine will stop.

You are so right, I just needed a fresh approach ;)

For me, family is really the cornerstone behind winemaking. So far, all of my family members love it (as evident by them wanting to make more and more each year). I am truly lucky that my entire family shares the same taste in wine as I do.

It would kill me if my family said such things to me. I can identify with how you feel.

The big difference here is that all in my family shares the same taste in wine while your family seems to have a lot of different tastes going on. In your case, I am afraid that you will have a hard time coming up with a wine that everyone likes (either home made or commercial).

So here is my advice... Make the wine that YOU like.

Opinions be damned (unless they're mine of course :) )

I agree with all the advice given.
A couple things to remember:

1. all your wines are very young. Remember to NOT bring the aged version to these cads. They don't deserve it.
2. Some people aren't fans of country/sweet wines. I happen to be one of them. That doesn't make them bad wines, they just may not be my style.

Keep making what you like and enjoy the process. Ignore the cads. They will be sad when you fail to share your 2 year old wine that won a competition. That will teach them.

My wife is my biggest wine critic, other than myself of course. So I only really have to make wine to please us. But I have gotten a lot of good comments on my wine from both experienced and inexperienced wine drinkers. The only family member who said she didn't really like my wine was my wife's sister, who said that my wine was too much like real wine and not like Boone's Farm like she was used to. So that wasn't too bad a snub, though I did end up making about 10 gallons of sweet Concord for her wedding (which they did like).

But the way I see it is, anyone who doesn't like your wine won't come begging for a bottle. You get to keep it for yourself. And if we ever find ourselves in each other's company, I'd be happy to try your wine and offer you some of mine.

In the beginning make your wine for two people, you and your spouse. If you don't like it, you'll quit and if your spouse doesn't like it forget the support as you increase your bottling's. It wasn't until I had close to 400 bottles in my cellar that I started making wines with other people in mind that maybe I didn't care for but I wanted the selection. Next time you meet with the family keep in mind they like really sweet wine so only take that if you have any.

What's important to understand is do they really not like the style of your wine or is there really an issue with it. They still need some diplomacy. When I judge a competition there are some wines I don't like but that doesn't make them bad wines. Try judging a garlic wine. I judged an AWS competition that had an elderberry wine I did not like but rated it good. It ended up with best of show. The cool part was I didn't have a clue whose it was and it ended up being a member on this forum.

I suggest you enter into some local competitions and ask other winemakers who will give you an honest opinion. Be open to what they have to say. I know a few people who love there oxidized wine.

Seems to me that you said the most important thing, Newbie2 - and that is that your husband and you are both enjoying the wine you make. If you and your spouse both take pleasure in the wines you have made then you are doing something right even if the rest of your family would prefer that your wines taste different. They are free to make or buy the wines they like just as long as you are free to continue to make the wines that you like. The only valid criticism is as Seth suggests - positive criticism. Comments that are aimed to hurt you - or anyone for that matter - are inherently wrong and and inherently useless. You can be pretty certain that Picasso was damned for his work by people who preferred he paint differently.

I get "this is too sweet" from wine snoobs a lot. In the end dry or sweet your never going to please everyone.

I've had one person say my wine is to weak and just tastes like grape juice, and someone else push away a glass of the same wine away saying it was too strong.

My wife is not a wine person and doesn't like any wine I have made without turning it into sangria.

At the end of the day I try and make a wine I like.

As a new wine maker you'll learn there's always the homemade snobbery. Sometimes though, with very young wines, it requires a taste. As with everyone else, I say if you're happy with it who cares.
As Dan (Runningwolf) mentioned: sometimes it's good to get some constructive criticism though.(Not the way you received it) Ask some friends and family to politely critique your wine ,and if you agree then,try some tweaks.
Keep following posts here and you'll be happier and happier with your outcomes.

Here is what I don't get: the complaint from a "wine snob" that your wine is too dry?

Yes, that does seem a bit odd since most "wine snobs" prefer dry over sweet. Unless he was a self-professed "wine snob" and thinks that Mogen David is top shelf.

Latest posts

Back