Just before Bottling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it's me then!!!
smiley36.gif

Might not be. Depends upon what type of filler you have. If it is like mine
with the little plastic dongle at the tip, it will dispense liquid if you simply let
it settle down on the bottom of the bottle. The spring tip type has to be
pushed down to start the flow and would be more accomodating.

Bill

I think that's what I've got. It's a plastic filler and it's red and white. I don't know anything more about it because I don't use it. I think I had to have a spare bottle for the little tube that attached to the nub at the top of it. But the wine flowed out from all cracks of the thing and it just was a (&**^*^ mess. Made me very sad and disappointed. But that's how I learned how to use the clamp.

Yep.... I think it had some sort of spring in it too, the more I think about it. It popped up when the bottle was supposed to be filled. It stuck all the time, if I remember it correctly.

Yes, similar..

I got it the first month I was into winemaking on Ebay.

I can go downstairs and get a picture of it soon.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: MedPretzel

MedPretzel said:
smurfe said:
Waldo's advice would be great if you have an auto filler for your bottles to get used to it. I wish I had. I over flowed a few in the beginning and still do now if I am not thinking. Yeah, it shuts off when the bottle is full but if you pull it out of the bottle wrong, it will pop back on plus the overflow tube will back flush if not at a low enough level.

Smurfe

Honestly? I have a filler, and I don't like it. It must be operator error because a lot of people use it. I simply use a a racking tube with a tube clamp. I eyeball the level of the wine in the bottle, and always have 2-3 next to it so that I'm mostly equal. This, too, takes a fair amount of practice but I'm the type of person: The less things I have to handle/think about, the better. 1 tube and 1 clamp and 1 bottle is perfect for me.

But this is just me. Like I said, it must be operator error.
smiley9.gif
smiley36.gif

That statement don't really read right. I to am not a real big fan of my filler and tell myself every time I bottle I am not going to use it and just bottle like you do but I always use it. Sometimes it works great, sometimes not so great.

It all depends on paying attention to it. I for one thought it was a product to ease your mind and not have to stand over and watch but this is not so. It will shut off but then the overflow bottle starts filling and it normally overflows from lack of attention. Maybe I am just doing it wrong. I myself still am thinking of using the spout on the primary with hose and a clip like yourself.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Im still using the spring loaded thing on the end of the wand. as long as i pay attention i do fine and dont over fill aka spill the precious liquid I have sweated and worried over.

Back